The Yankees are the front runners for Nate Schierholtz

Dec 5, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT

There was a time when no one would think much of the Yankees talking to a non-tendered guy like Nate Schierholtz as particularly newsworthy, but in the brave new world in which the Yankees actually have a budget and are trying to do things economically, this is news:

Despite the non-tender — which was kind of odd to me given that the Phillies really don’t, you know, have any outfielders – Schierholtz could be a nice fit in New York. While nothing in his career numbers jumps out at you, as a left-handed hitter, if he is going to make it anywhere, it’s in Yankee Stadium where the home runs should be more plentiful than AT&T or Citizens Bank Parks.

1. proudlycanadian - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM

A very interesting contrast between the first place Yankees and the last place Red Sox this off season.

2. APBA Guy - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Can’t say this is the type of player you add when you look to win Championships. His peak WAR is 0.8.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Depends on the money and his role. Context is everything

3. allforfunnplay - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:51 PM

as a Giants fan, I can say that Schierholtz is a very good defensive outfielder (awesome right field arm). He has really good power. It’s just his batting average is below par and he doesn’t put the ball in play often (which is important to teams playing more small ball like the Giants…unlike the Yankees) he’s streaky and tends to strike out a lot. Schierholtz always had chances with the Giants but he didn’t get an extended amount of playing time as a platoon player and kept getting yanked during one of his extended (and frequent) cold streaks. Some always wondered if he would have performed better if he had been left alone to work through being an everyday player.

But when he get on his short hitting streaks, he hit with power even inside AT&T Park. So maybe hitting in the Yankee’s hitting friendly park will help his power make up for his lack of consistency.

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:55 PM

The last three years he has OPSed .770 against RHP and OPSed almost 760 away from ATT park. If used properly, and with Yankee Stadium as his home, he should be an asset.

5. yournuts - Dec 5, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Great arm, very good defensive outfielder and a streaky hitter with power. Would be a great fit at Yankee Stadium.

6. uyf1950 - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Nothing wrong with the Yankees signing him. It obviously would mean that the Yankees wouldn’t be re-signing Ichiro. Also, the Yankees will still need a right hand power bat for the line up. And they still need someone for the left side of the infield while A-Rod is out and also as a back up for both A-Rod and Jeter during the season.

7. sonoco - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM

He’s a great fielder and streaky hitter . . . his problem in SF seemed to be whenever he started to put a stranglehold on the every day job in RF he’d get hurt and be out just long enough to watch another player get hot and make us all forget about him.

8. randygnyc - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

2014 can’t come soon enough for me!!!

9. shanabartels - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:24 PM

As a Yankees fan who also watches the Giants every day (they’re my NL team), I just hope Nate Schierholtz will end up somewhere that he gets a real shot at proving himself. I think Bruce Bochy is a good manager in some ways, but it really bothers me when he plays favorites and has some kind of irrational bias against certain guys (Schierholtz was a prime example) because for whatever reason, Bochy had made up his mind that Nate would never be one of his favorites.

No matter what Nate accomplished in San Francisco, he never got a fair shot there, and I felt bad about that. If he does in fact end up with the Yankees, I think Joe Girardi is a lot better about using guys for their strengths and not just letting them rot on the bench for weeks on end. Granted, he’s not perfect — sometimes the Yankees will have a “forgotten man” on their roster too. But I could see this working out favorably for both sides.

10. yankeepunk3000 - Dec 5, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I want him on my team so bad…I also watched the giants a lot, my bro is a diehard giant fan. and he never got a fair share, bochy always ALWAYS kept him from playing full time even though he was a much better option then what they had…I felt he just didn’t like Nate. if he joins the yanks I hope he gets to play everyday so we can see what he can REALLY DO!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto