Don Larsen’s jersey from World Series perfect game sells for $756,000

Dec 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EST

Larsen

Last night Don Larsen auctioned off the Yankees jersey he wore while throwing a perfect game against the Dodgers in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, selling it for $756,000.

Larsen, now 83 years old, told Darren Rovell of ESPN.com that he was raising money for his grandchildren’s education.

Hall of Fame basketball coach Bobby Knight also sold a bunch of his memorabilia as part of the same Steiner Sports auction, including his Indiana Hoosiers 1976 championship ring for $210,000.

Last week Ozzie Smith sold his 13 Gold Glove awards for $519,000.

1. ezthinking - Dec 6, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Panic on the fiscal cliff – restoration of Bush-level taxes?

2. raysfan1 - Dec 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Larsen’s 1958 salary was $17000. That’s roughly equivalent to $136,000. The reserve system in action.

For the Jack Morris for the HoF crowd: Larsen pitched the bulk of his career in a hitters’ era, had a W-L record of 81-91 and thus will never be in the HoF other than the museum exhibit for that perfect game. However, his ERA was 3.72…ie, better than Morris’ career 3.9.

3. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I know that’s a lot of money but quite frankly I thought the winning bid on something like this would’ve been in the millions.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Bernie Madoff changed all that……………..

4. fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2012 at 3:43 PM

nice, he deserves it, they did a little interview with him and Yogi, hilarious.
    I think Boomer Wells hangs with him, they are both from the same HS in
    San Diego.
    I love old timers, especially the Yankee guys.

I hope all the old timers make some money ………..

especially the Negro League guys, they were awesome.

5. vanmorrissey - Dec 6, 2012 at 4:01 PM

As long as you report that as Income, Don, IRS will be watching.

6. mybrunoblog - Dec 6, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I hope it ends up on permanent display at the Baseball HOF orthe Yankees Museum at Yankee Stadium. It pisses me off when great items like these end up in some guys basement where nobody gets to see them.

7. historiophiliac - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Poor Pete Rose.

• bigdicktater - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Or maybe “Pour Pete Rose a ……….”

8. treye2 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I can understand buying a memorable jersey, but buying rings and gold glove awards is weird to me. Why would you spend that much money on someone else’s accomplishments?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Championship rings I can understand. They’re awesome. But I share your confusion over the individual awards.

9. 6stn - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Why give out trophies, rings, etc. if they are going to be sold. Just cut ‘em a check for their accomplishment. The Cardinals gave Ozzie Smith championship rings for 2006 and 2011. Sold them. Hell, he hadn’t been part of the organization since Tony LaRussa’s first year in St. Louis! Uniforms, I can understand. The rest of it, well, money trumps everything. Oh, by the way, I’ve got a baseball signed by Stan Musial, Jack Buck and Harry Caray, if anybody wants to negotiate…and my Curt Flood autographed scorecard, and …

10. coloradogolfcoupons - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I have a Little League jersey for sale. I threw a perfect game, struck out all 18 batters, and hit 2 home runs, one of them a grand slam. I would sacrifice it for just HALF of Larsen’s price, call it $375,000.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2768)
  2. W. Myers (2527)
  3. D. Ross (2176)
  4. C. McGehee (2114)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1968)
  1. J. Shields (1870)