Dec 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
Last night Don Larsen auctioned off the Yankees jersey he wore while throwing a perfect game against the Dodgers in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, selling it for $756,000.
Larsen, now 83 years old, told Darren Rovell of ESPN.com that he was raising money for his grandchildren’s education.
Hall of Fame basketball coach Bobby Knight also sold a bunch of his memorabilia as part of the same Steiner Sports auction, including his Indiana Hoosiers 1976 championship ring for $210,000.
Last week Ozzie Smith sold his 13 Gold Glove awards for $519,000.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)