Dec 6, 2012, 3:22 PM EST
Last night Don Larsen auctioned off the Yankees jersey he wore while throwing a perfect game against the Dodgers in Game 5 of the 1956 World Series, selling it for $756,000.
Larsen, now 83 years old, told Darren Rovell of ESPN.com that he was raising money for his grandchildren’s education.
Hall of Fame basketball coach Bobby Knight also sold a bunch of his memorabilia as part of the same Steiner Sports auction, including his Indiana Hoosiers 1976 championship ring for $210,000.
Last week Ozzie Smith sold his 13 Gold Glove awards for $519,000.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)