Dec 6, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
UPDATE: Hold the phone: Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke with Chuck Armstrong, president of the Mariners, and he said that the Mariners are not close to signing Hamilton.
Odd, then, that Baker would be as specific as he was with his report. One wonders if Armstrong is running some misdirection here.
I’m now told the talks between the two sides have been a lot more serious than anyone has let on and that they are actually “very close” to getting a deal done.
The holdup: Zack Greinke. Why? Because, according to Baker, the Rangers have been given a chance to match any offer for Hamilton the Mariners make. They cannot match it if the Rangers sign Greinke, because they can’t spend that much. If Greinke goes elsewhere, however, the Rangers will match the Seattle offer on Hamilton. Seattle is poised to strike fast, Baker says.
This is pretty shocking, no? Did anyone really think the M’s would be anything other than a stalking horse? Could anyone — before they moved the fences in anyway — have imagined them landing a big free agent bat, let alone the biggest?
But, pending Zack Greinke’s ultimate destination, that could very well happen.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT
In a shocking move, the Rangers designated Neftali Feliz for assignment to clear roster space for Matt Harrison.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:45 PM EDT
Base Ba’al has no mercy for Coco Crisp.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT
The Mets are VERY interested in Ben Zobrist.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
The Mets are getting desperate for runs, but aren’t ready to rush prospect Michael Conforto just yet.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
Miguel Cabrera suffered a calf injury after a single in the fourth inning on Friday against the Blue Jays.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:08 PM EDT
Anibal Sanchez has silenced a tough Blue Jays lineup.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT
Patrick Corbin will complete his long trek back to the major leagues when he starts against the Rockies on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The Athletics haven’t used Josh Reddick much against left-handed starters. Reddick isn’t too happy with that, despite his results against southpaws.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT
Jameson Taillon was getting pretty close to returning to action for the Pirates, but an inguinal hernia has knocked him back on the shelf.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:05 PM EDT
The Cubs acquired Clayton Richard from the Pirates and he’ll start for the club on Saturday.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:40 PM EDT
Jul 3, 2015, 3:52 PM EDT
Both he and the White Sox have disappointed this year, but he could help a contender.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:11 PM EDT
Chamberlain has posted a 4.09 ERA and an ugly 1.682 WHIP in 30 appearances this year. Gorzelanny has been even worse.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
$3.5 million will be paid out . . . to charity.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
He’s only had six plate appearances since being recalled in late June.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
And, someone, Tony La Russa placed in this thing.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:37 AM EDT
He changed his mind.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:01 AM EDT
“We’ll leave it at that.”
Jul 3, 2015, 9:11 AM EDT
He has a 2.56 ERA and a 72/31 K/BB ratio over 102 innings on the season.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
He wasn’t hit hard, but the Braves hit ’em where they weren’t.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)