Dec 6, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
UPDATE: Hold the phone: Bob Nightengale of USA Today spoke with Chuck Armstrong, president of the Mariners, and he said that the Mariners are not close to signing Hamilton.
Odd, then, that Baker would be as specific as he was with his report. One wonders if Armstrong is running some misdirection here.
I’m now told the talks between the two sides have been a lot more serious than anyone has let on and that they are actually “very close” to getting a deal done.
The holdup: Zack Greinke. Why? Because, according to Baker, the Rangers have been given a chance to match any offer for Hamilton the Mariners make. They cannot match it if the Rangers sign Greinke, because they can’t spend that much. If Greinke goes elsewhere, however, the Rangers will match the Seattle offer on Hamilton. Seattle is poised to strike fast, Baker says.
This is pretty shocking, no? Did anyone really think the M’s would be anything other than a stalking horse? Could anyone — before they moved the fences in anyway — have imagined them landing a big free agent bat, let alone the biggest?
But, pending Zack Greinke’s ultimate destination, that could very well happen.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:57 PM EST
It was a successful afternoon in pretty much every way at Fenway South. Except maybe one …
Mar 3, 2015, 9:44 PM EST
The expectation is that he will have to sit out the entire 2015 season.
Mar 3, 2015, 8:31 PM EST
The deal does not include an invitation to major league spring training, so Beato won’t be under consideration for one of the spots in the Orioles’ Opening Day bullpen.
Mar 3, 2015, 7:28 PM EST
Yoenis Cespedes made his presence felt around Tigers camp with this fourth-inning grand slam in Tuesday afternoon’s Grapefruit League opener against the visiting Orioles …
Mar 3, 2015, 6:32 PM EST
He can be solid rotation depth for some team.
Mar 3, 2015, 5:46 PM EST
Kang hit .356 with 40 homers in Korea last season.
Mar 3, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
Because, if he does, David Wright and Bobby Parnell are gonna go kick his butt.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:54 PM EST
Unless someone gets injured, spring training game results don’t matter a bit. But they are a reminder that everyone starts from square one each season. No matter how well they ended the season before.
Mar 3, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Johnson made the All-Star team in 1970 and went on to win the batting championship by hitting .329, marking his third straight season with a batting average above .300.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:48 PM EST
He was only 52.
Mar 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EST
Baseball has officially started, but opinions on pants vary.
Mar 3, 2015, 1:34 PM EST
Also: there is baseball — honest to goodness baseball — on TV right now.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
As a man who knows from hanging around in loungewear all day, I can tell you: this is cool.
Mar 3, 2015, 12:06 PM EST
Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but whatever.
Mar 3, 2015, 11:32 AM EST
Will he be the same Tanaka this spring?
Mar 3, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
The million a year helped, but Chamberlain’s son provided the definitive push back to Detroit.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:48 AM EST
Mets general manager Sandy Alderson was asked about a Dillon Gee trade rumor that made the internet rounds Monday night.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Which would be a little ahead of schedule.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:10 AM EST
Dozier is making the minimum salary for this season and would then be under team control via arbitration for 2016-2018.
Mar 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EST
The Daily News is gonna Daily News
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)