Dec 6, 2012, 3:06 PM EDT
3:20 p.m. EST update: Rosenthal is quoting an official involved in the talks as saying they’re “not dead,” but that things are no further along than they were going into the winter meetings.
3:00 p.m. EST update: Speaking with reporters about a half hour ago, Rangers GM Jon Daniels aid he was packed and ready to leave the winter meetings without completing a deal.
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is chiming back in on the Justin Upton trade talks, this time saying that two scenarios are in play, neither of which involve the Indians.
The Indians had been key in yesterday’s rumors, with Asdrubal Cabrera going to Arizona as the shortstop the Diamondbacks were thought to require in an Upton trade to Texas.
Rosenthal reports that both current scenarios involve the Rangers, Diamondbacks and Rays. One is a three-team deal and the other is a four-team deal that would include the Mariners.
While it’s speculation, Rosenthal thinks one way the deal could line up for the Rangers is for a Rays starter to go to Arizona, with Rangers third baseman Mike Olt and other prospects landing in Tampa Bay.
Such an addition to the Arizona rotation could perhaps allow the Diamondbacks to swing a Cabrera deal with Cleveland afterwards.
As for the Mariners, they’re still believed to want Derek Holland from Texas. ESPN Radio’s Jim Bowden points out that the Mariners may be involved in order to aid the Rangers in getting Upton and thus help their chances of signing Josh Hamilton.
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 0
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 7
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 6
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 18
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)