Report: Mariners, Josh Hamilton talk three-year deal

Dec 6, 2012, 5:08 PM EST

Josh Hamilton AP

FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mariners and free agent Josh Hamilton have discussed three-year deals worth $20 million-$25 million per season.

There have been mixed messages on whether the two sides are nearing a deal or not, but the door seems wide open, what with the Rangers concentrating on Zack Greinke and Justin Upton at the moment.

Besides Seattle and maybe Texas, Hamilton isn’t known to have negotiated with any club this winter. The Phillies are one team that could conceivably slot Hamilton in, especially now that they’ve filled center field with a minimum-salaried player in Ben Revere. However, they’re working on a Michael Young deal in which they’d take on about $8 million and they also figure to sign a pitcher to replace Vance Worley.

Hamilton met with the Red Sox at the meetings, but that was before Boston signed Shane Victorino. The Red Sox will likely only be interested if he begins to look like a bargain.

At $20 million per year, Hamilton would seem to be just that, considering that Victorino got $13 million per year. Hamilton, the 2010 AL MVP, hit .285/.354/.577 with 43 homers and 128 RBI for the Rangers last season.

1. mrrooch - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Wait? It’s only going to take 3 yrs. @ 20-25 to get Hamilton? 3 years is ideal. Everyone one should be in on him at that length. Which I assume is what his agent is trying to do get more interest and drive the price up.

• illadelphiasphinest - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM

RAJ you better move in on this at that lenght and price!!!!

2. xmatt0926x - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Wow. I could see him taking just 3 years to go back to Texas, but I’m surprised that Seattle could get him for just 3 years.

• xmatt0926x - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

mrrooch made my point better than I did. That’s what I wanted to say. If all it takes for an outside organization to get Hamilton is 3 years than why aren’t more teams in on this?

3. beefytrout - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Let’s middle ground it and say 3 years, 22.5m/yr…

And it’s well known that he has said Texas will have the opportunity to match any offer.

At that price, Texas has a hard decision facing them.

• paint771 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:33 PM

What’s hard about it?

• beefytrout - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:41 PM

That’s still a lot of money tied up into a guy who is injury- and slump-prone.

• xavier46 - Dec 6, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Slump-prone?

Josh has slump-busters on speed dial!

I’d think 3 years and $70M is ideal for any club.

• beefytrout - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Yes, slump-prone. Ask anyone who followed the Rangers daily in 2012.

4. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM

What is going on here? Do the Mariners really think they’re a Josh Hamilton away from relevance? Why would he want to go there? I just don’t understand this at all.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

I ju$t don’t under$tand thi$ at all.

Reason why most FA’s left/move…

• strosfan85 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:54 PM

LOL so true…

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Still, there have to be quite a few contenders willing to give him three years at $20 – 25 per. I just can’t wrap my head around the fact that the Mariners are (possibly) the frontrunners.

• mashoaf - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:09 PM

How did the Richie Sexon and Adrian Beltre power numbers work for the M’s, when they signed them to big contracts?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Wow, I haven’t heard the name Richie Sexon in a while.

5. dizoakiusmaximus - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM

For 3 years, some of my wariness about RAJ signing him is abated. Not much, but some.

6. fanofevilempire - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

He would look good in PINSTRIPES@ those #’s……………

George would never let a guy like this get away…….. he must be rolling in his grave.

come on Cash………………………

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:45 PM

yeah like that time George wanted Cashman to sign Sheffield instead of Beltan, or when George signed Wells a second time fucking over Arizona who in turn traded Schilling to the Sox for a bag of balls to spite George, or when George forced Cashman to trade for Mondesi and his absurd contract because of one mis-played flyball in right field.

All incredibly intelligent things the boss did…

7. dkphilly1122 - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Exactly MrChooch and Matt. I also swear at some point I read teams would rather offer him between 25-30 mill for 3 years than a 5-7 year offer at lower money just so they wouldn’t be locked in to a crazy contract if he gets hurt, problems with the drugs or just old and outta baseball shape. Any team who wouldn’t try for him at 3 years 20-25 mill is nuts. I would love if the Phillies got him at that money, but I am thinking Texas resigns him for that after they lose out on Greinke.

8. sidelineshot - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM

If the 3-year term is correct, anyone could sign the guy.
    The Red Sox could top any offer right now. But, as usual, the Bombers would beat them to it.

• jwbiii - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:12 PM

The Yankees aren’t committing any money for 2014.

• sidelineshot - Dec 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM

check the latest – bombers are kickin the tires on Hamilton – can’t resist.

9. uschawk - Dec 6, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Wish the O’s would offer him 4 years at 90 mil.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM

It’s probably what his agent is banking on, hearing this ridiculously sane contract term, and having 15-20 teams thinking “we could beat that easily”. Next thing you know it’s 9/$215M…

• paperlions - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Exactly. This is an auction format….once you get people in the room by discussing numbers they are comfortable with….you slowly ratchet it up and suddenly you got teams discussion numbers that wouldn’t have interested them at all.

10. angrycorgi - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I’d have been happy with 4/100…but 3/70 is a dream! If the Rangers let him go @ that price, then I’m officially completely lost on what their plan is.

• illadelphiasphinest - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Rangers plan is to trade for Upton, and sign Grienke.

• angrycorgi - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:14 PM

And he will have no chance of matching Hamilton’s production while costing the Rangers prospects. This whole thing is just ridiculous.

11. pkswally024 - Dec 6, 2012 at 6:23 PM

At 3 years? Fucking steal. RAJ should go 4 at $22.5

12. scouter2012 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Do the Mariners really think they’re a Josh Hamilton away from relevance?
    ________________________________

Just a few years ago the Rangers were just a Josh Hamilton away from relevance.

13. windycity0301 - Dec 6, 2012 at 7:38 PM

The state of Washington just voted to approve the legalization of marijuana. That might not be the best landing spot for someone with a ton of money and addiction tendencies.

• joerymi - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Because it is just soooo hard to find marijuana when its illegal. C’mon…

• spytdi - Dec 6, 2012 at 8:53 PM

He’s not a pothead. He enjoyed liquor and the occasional hit on the crack pipe. Whatever team signs him will have a clause, etc.

• navyteach - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:07 PM

“the occasional hit on the crack pipe” that had me laughing. It seems like he’s cleaned up his act so I wouldn’t hold it against him.

• windycity0301 - Dec 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

has everyone lost any semblance of a sense of humor? fair enough that its hard to read intent on a post, but really… and you’re right, I’ve lived in Seattle, its not called the emerald city for nothing. I think they even grow it in the city parks for distribution to the local population.

• jdillydawg - Dec 7, 2012 at 4:50 PM

I thought it was funny windy!

I live here, voted yes to legalize, and am hoping that the new law will attract all sorts of great athletic talent!

With the Mariners pulling left field in another 17 feet, they’ve freed up space for a new cantina called Edgars (in honor of Edgar Martinez, of course) with a south of the border flair. I’m thinking they can really go south of the border if they make it into a “smoking” section too!

14. kappy32 - Dec 6, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I still don’t know why the Mets aren’t in on him. If he’s going for 3 years, the Mets should pop in with a 4th guaranteed & a 5th option. They freed up money with Bay’s deferred money & the new Wright contract. They need a power-hitting OF & he’s the best power-hitting hitter in baseball. I don’t want to hear that he can’t be sober in NY, it’s absolute BS. I live in NY & have been sober 3.5 years. It’s all about the support network around him & he can either bring one or find one in NY, no doubt.

15. fearthehoody - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:31 AM

As an M’s fan I dont know how to feel about this. Then I remember their lineup, and know anything would be an upgrade!

• matckeeper - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Justin Smoke the 2nd

16. markofapro - Dec 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Obvious to me that the Rangers are not that interested. I don’t believe this has gone to an auction format; he is über talented but too much baggage for that money.

Angry, sure you would have to give up prospects but he is 25, health, productive, can play defense, and is cheap for the next 3 years. Much cheaper than Josh. You add him and sign ZG, you have a very successful offseason.

Still need a fifth starter.

17. old97 - Dec 7, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I am a life-long Ranger fan – still after these past three years can’t believe my little Rangers are in the position they are – and I’ve been a huge fan of Josh since he got here until late last season.

Maybe he was hurt. Maybe he was tired. Maybe he was counting the money he thought he was going to get this off-season. I don’t know what was going on with him. But Josh quit on his team as badly as any athlete has quit, ever. Despite the length of the deal coming back down to where it might make sense, I can’t shake the images from the stretch run – Josh flailing ineffectively at bad pitch after bad pitch. He saw fewer hittable pitches than anyone in baseball from Aug on, because no one HAD to throw him hittable pitches.

His performance in that awful wild card game against the Orioles summed up the whole last two months of the season. He went 0-3, saw five pitches, and recorded four outs (hit into a DP). I can’t, for the life of me, get that image out of my head.

I refuse to drink the Josh Kool-Aid any longer. I’m ready for the Rangers to move on without him, regardless of the terms they could get from him.

18. jdillydawg - Dec 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM

It’s time for Josh to get out of Texas. Too much bad mojo there for him. Not sure Seattle is the right place for him. Ok, not sure Seattle needs to be dropping that kind of money on him. Sure, 3 years isn’t that long, but the M’s have a bad history of buying players after they’ve peaked.

Hamilton won’t do well here. He’d be better with an organization like the Yankees. Unless he just wants to kick back and do nothing (as old97 indicated), then he’ll excel beyond his wildest dreams here…

19. txnative61 - Dec 8, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Understandable that Texas is disillusioned with him. After years of drug/alcohol rehab and babysitting by the Rangers, he again relapsed early last year, and even his long suffering wife was disgusted. His delusions include hearing God speak to him directly. He began last year on fire, but fizzled miserably in the stretch and probably cost Texas a playoff run. Maybe God wouldn’t shut up when he was at bat, who knows? I think he’s certifiable and any team that signs him is crazier than he is. He should begin his ministry now and share God’s word with some good psychiatrists. Sad, but you can’t save someone from themselves.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester