Dec 6, 2012, 5:08 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal is reporting that the Mariners and free agent Josh Hamilton have discussed three-year deals worth $20 million-$25 million per season.
There have been mixed messages on whether the two sides are nearing a deal or not, but the door seems wide open, what with the Rangers concentrating on Zack Greinke and Justin Upton at the moment.
Besides Seattle and maybe Texas, Hamilton isn’t known to have negotiated with any club this winter. The Phillies are one team that could conceivably slot Hamilton in, especially now that they’ve filled center field with a minimum-salaried player in Ben Revere. However, they’re working on a Michael Young deal in which they’d take on about $8 million and they also figure to sign a pitcher to replace Vance Worley.
Hamilton met with the Red Sox at the meetings, but that was before Boston signed Shane Victorino. The Red Sox will likely only be interested if he begins to look like a bargain.
At $20 million per year, Hamilton would seem to be just that, considering that Victorino got $13 million per year. Hamilton, the 2010 AL MVP, hit .285/.354/.577 with 43 homers and 128 RBI for the Rangers last season.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 26
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 28
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 28
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 60
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)