Dec 6, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT
I wrote a little something about the Astros selecting right-hander Josh Fields from the Red Sox with the first pick in the Rule 5 draft and here are all the picks:
1. Astros – Josh Fields, RHP (Red Sox)
2. Cubs – Hector Rondon, RHP (Indians)
3. Rockies – Daniel Rosenbaum, LHP (Nationals)
4. Twins – Ryan Pressley, RHP (Red Sox)
5. Indians – Chris McGuinness, 1B (Rangers)
6. Marlins – Alfredo Silverio, OF (Dodgers)
7. Red Sox – Jeff Kobernus, 2B (Nationals)
10. Mets – Kyle Lobstein, RHP (Rays)
14. Diamondbacks – Starling Peralta, RHP (Cubs)
15. Phillies – Ender Inciarte, OF (Diamondbacks)
17. White Sox – Angel Sanchez, SS (Angels)
23. Orioles – T.J. McFarland, RHP (Indians)
24. Rangers – Coty Woods, RHP (Rockies)
31. Astros – Nate Freiman, 1B (Padres)
36. Marlins – Brauilo Lara, LHP (Rays)
So the Astros and Marlins are the only teams to pick two players and 17 of the 30 teams passed on selecting anyone. If you’re looking for in-depth analysis on any of those guys besides Fields the place to go is Baseball America.
Any players selected must remain on the new team’s 25-man roster for the entire season or be offered back to the original team for half of the $50,000 selection fee.
(Thanks to Zachary Levine of Baseball Prospectus for the Rule 5 sign photo.)
Sep 17, 2014, 12:28 PM EDT
Another day off for the Dodgers’ ailing shortstop.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
Most people either thought the O’s would lose this year or, at the very least, thought they’d win differently. Either way: they are the AL East champs.
Sep 17, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
“Hey honey? I have some good news and some bad news . . . “
Sep 17, 2014, 10:53 AM EDT
Or, at the very least doubted his ability to turn the Orioles around.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
He has decided to add difficulty to it. Like, playing second base while sitting on his but in the infield dirt. Or starting double plays from his stomach, for example.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:40 AM EDT
Great Moments in Southern Hospitality.
Sep 17, 2014, 9:13 AM EDT
Rays pitchers have hit Yankees batters five times in the past week. Joe Girardi is sick of it.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
It’s musical chairs time in the Pacific Coast League.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:31 AM EDT
And the Braves and their announcers bear some of the blame for this baloney.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:08 AM EDT
Beer showers on the Beltway as the Nats and Orioles both clinch
Sep 17, 2014, 12:34 AM EDT
CSNBaltimore.com has some exclusive video of Orioles manager Buck Showalter getting showered with beer and champagne after his club clinched the American League East title on Tuesday night …
Sep 17, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
Bryce Harper came prepared for the Nationals’ division title celebration with a custom helmet sent to him from the Washington, D.C. Fire Department. These photos come courtesy of CSNWashington.com …
Sep 16, 2014, 11:41 PM EDT
Watch as Astros second baseman Jose Altuve sets the franchise record for most hits in a season with a single through the middle of the infield on Tuesday night at Minute Maid Park in Houston …
Sep 16, 2014, 10:53 PM EDT
Watch the Orioles make the final out of Tuesday night’s AL East title clincher …
Sep 16, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
A first in 17 years.
Sep 16, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Congratulations to the Washington Nationals, who’ve clinched their second NL East crown in three years.
Sep 16, 2014, 9:49 PM EDT
Derek Jeter’s retirement tour continued on Tuesday night at Tropicana Field with another set of cool gifts. Along with a $16,000 check for his Turn 2 Foundation and a framed Don Zimmer jersey presented by the widow of the former Yankees bench coach, Jeter also got this custom 16-foot pinstriped kayak …
Sep 16, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez has been scratched from Tuesday’s game against the Rockies due to an elbow strain. It’s not clear when he suffered the injury or how serious it might be.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:40 PM EDT
Lagares has dramatically out-performed expectations offensively this season, hitting .283 with four homers and a .706 OPS in 115 games, and his defense in center field has always been Gold Glove caliber.
Sep 16, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Castillo played a total of 10 games in the minors, participating in the playoffs at three different levels while hitting a combined .297 with four doubles and two steals.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 10
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 37
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)