Dec 6, 2012, 6:25 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is official.
Phil Mackey of 1500 ESPN reports that Burton will earn $2 million next season and $3.25 million in 2014. The new deal includes a $3.6 million club option for 2015 that can be bought out for $200,000.
Burton signed with the Twins on a minor-league deal last offseason following several injury wrecked years with the Reds and was fantastic in a setup role, throwing 62 innings with a 2.18 ERA and 55/16 K/BB ratio.
He was arbitration eligible for the final time in 2013, but according to Wolfson the extension would cover 2013 and 2014 while giving the Twins an option for 2015.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 7
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)