Dale Sveum says Starlin Castro only focuses about “80 to 85 percent of the time”

Dec 7, 2012, 10:34 AM EDT

San Diego Padres v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com spoke with Cubs officials about what it means for the team to depend on young kids like Starlin Castro. And manager Dale Sveum dealt directly with Castro’s notable lack of concentration at times last season:

“He came a long way, but still has to even concentrate more,” Sveum said. “We’ve got him probably – just throwing a number out there – really focused 80 to 85 percent of the time. We got to get that to 95 percent of the time. I don’t think anybody ever really focuses 100 percent.”

Wait, you telling me that those people who say they give 110% are lying? Man, I don’t know what to believe in anymore.

Check out the whole article to get a sense of the brave new (young) world on the north side.

1. hotdogfinger - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

don’t they make medication for that?

• stumblebum76 - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That’s his problem. Too much medication.

2. mdpickles - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Tell him to talk to Chooch, sure he has some leftover Adderall.

3. kkolchak - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

And this is the guy the Cubs were falling all over themselves to sign to a contract extension? Might it not have been a better idea to wait a year or two to see if he can get his head in the game? After all–hey, what was that shiny light? Now what was I talking about?

• abaird2012 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Look! A squirrel!

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Look! A squirrel! Look! A beach ball! Look! A Hot Dog Wrapper! I sure am hungry. I would like a pretzel right now! Look! The vendor spilled his tray! Look! The vendor…doing vendor things.
        What inning is it? How many outs? What inning is it? I sure am hungry. What inning is it? I would like some nachos. Look! What inning is it?

• Alex K - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

It was 100% the right decision to give him an extension. He’s really good at baseball. Excuse him if he’s not fully mature at 22.

• kevinbnyc - Dec 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM

It couldn’t have been more than an 80% right decision to give him the extension. If you want to make big boy money, you should be aware of what’s going on around you while you’re doing your job.

4. vallewho - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Hey Dale, what are the chances of his ass getting benched and/or traded this year?…just throw a number at me.

• Alex K - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hopefully zero. Why would they trade one of their two best players?

• kkolchak - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Because he pays more attention to the little birdies flying by than the game.

5. seeinred87 - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:00 PM

No, those people definitely give 110%; they only do it a little over 90% of the time unfortunately.

• mazblast - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Exactly. If 90.91% of the time you give 110%, it works out to 100% effort.

6. scatterbrian - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Seriously?! Dude accidentally shot Robin Yount two days ago, and now he’s talking about Castro’s lack of focus?

• kkolchak - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Actually, Yount shot him. But then again, Yount always had good focus at SS.

• ezthinking - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:17 PM

His handle is ‘scatterbrian’ but scatterbrain would have fit better.

• abaird2012 - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

I think he knew that.

• scatterbrian - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Oh damn, I thought it was the other way around….

Pineda ejection wrong message from MLB
  1. I. Davis (3641)