Dec 7, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Dan Haren‘s one-year deal with the Nationals was contingent on his passing a physical exam and the concerns about his back and hip meant that wasn’t just a formality, but he passed the test and the contract is now official.
Haren gets $13 million–plus the $3.5 million he received as a buyout from the Angels–and will try to bounce back following a career-worst season in which he lost velocity and effectiveness.
It’s an interesting gamble for the Nationals, who chose not to give Edwin Jackson the $13.5 million qualifying offer for fear he’d accept. That cost them the chance at a first-round draft pick, but they ended up replacing Jackson with Haren for basically the same cost.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)