Dec 7, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Dan Haren‘s one-year deal with the Nationals was contingent on his passing a physical exam and the concerns about his back and hip meant that wasn’t just a formality, but he passed the test and the contract is now official.
Haren gets $13 million–plus the $3.5 million he received as a buyout from the Angels–and will try to bounce back following a career-worst season in which he lost velocity and effectiveness.
It’s an interesting gamble for the Nationals, who chose not to give Edwin Jackson the $13.5 million qualifying offer for fear he’d accept. That cost them the chance at a first-round draft pick, but they ended up replacing Jackson with Haren for basically the same cost.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)