Dec 7, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Dan Haren‘s one-year deal with the Nationals was contingent on his passing a physical exam and the concerns about his back and hip meant that wasn’t just a formality, but he passed the test and the contract is now official.
Haren gets $13 million–plus the $3.5 million he received as a buyout from the Angels–and will try to bounce back following a career-worst season in which he lost velocity and effectiveness.
It’s an interesting gamble for the Nationals, who chose not to give Edwin Jackson the $13.5 million qualifying offer for fear he’d accept. That cost them the chance at a first-round draft pick, but they ended up replacing Jackson with Haren for basically the same cost.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)