Dec 7, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT
Dan Haren‘s one-year deal with the Nationals was contingent on his passing a physical exam and the concerns about his back and hip meant that wasn’t just a formality, but he passed the test and the contract is now official.
Haren gets $13 million–plus the $3.5 million he received as a buyout from the Angels–and will try to bounce back following a career-worst season in which he lost velocity and effectiveness.
It’s an interesting gamble for the Nationals, who chose not to give Edwin Jackson the $13.5 million qualifying offer for fear he’d accept. That cost them the chance at a first-round draft pick, but they ended up replacing Jackson with Haren for basically the same cost.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)