Dec 7, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak has made no secret about the Cardinals shopping Skip Schumaker and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Dodgers, Twins, and possibly the Reds are among the teams interested.
St. Louis has scaled back Schumaker’s playing time in recent years, giving him 400 plate appearances in 2011 and 304 plate appearances in 2012, but he’s versatile defensively and always gets on base at a decent clip.
At age 33 he’s owed $1.5 million in 2013, so he’d be affordable as a part-time player or even a pure bench bat. Los Angeles seems like the frontrunners because a) they’re trying to acquire literally every player in the world, and b) new Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire worked with Schumaker in St. Louis and is said to have a good relationship with him.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)