Dec 7, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
General manager John Mozeliak has made no secret about the Cardinals shopping Skip Schumaker and Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Dodgers, Twins, and possibly the Reds are among the teams interested.
St. Louis has scaled back Schumaker’s playing time in recent years, giving him 400 plate appearances in 2011 and 304 plate appearances in 2012, but he’s versatile defensively and always gets on base at a decent clip.
At age 33 he’s owed $1.5 million in 2013, so he’d be affordable as a part-time player or even a pure bench bat. Los Angeles seems like the frontrunners because a) they’re trying to acquire literally every player in the world, and b) new Dodgers hitting coach Mark McGwire worked with Schumaker in St. Louis and is said to have a good relationship with him.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 28
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 30
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 33
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (102)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)