Dec 7, 2012, 9:43 PM EST
The last time we saw Johnny Cueto in action, he was walking off the mound in the first inning of Game 1 of the NLDS against the Giants due to an oblique injury. It’s fair to wonder how the postseason would have played out had he been healthy, but the good news for Reds fans is that the injury is now behind him.
According to John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Cueto was cleared to begin throwing after being examined today by Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek. He should have a normal offseason and believes he’ll “probably” pitch for his native Native Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic.
Cueto posted a 2.78 ERA and 170/49 K/BB ratio over 217 innings this past season. The 26-year-old right-hander finished fourth in the balloting for the National League Cy Young award.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 4
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 291
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (291)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)