Johnny Damon still wants to play

Dec 7, 2012, 8:37 AM EST

Johnny Damon AP

Johnny Damon was DFA’d by the Indians after a mere 64 games last year, and they were 64 profoundly ineffective games at that. But the former Royal, Atheltic, Red Sox, Yankee, Tiger, Ray and Indian still thinks he has something in the tank:

“I liked being home last season with my kids. But I’m in shape and if I could play, I would,” he said. “We’ll see what happens. I still think I have something left if I am used the right way.”

Lots of teams are scrambling for outfielders right now, but I don’t think anyone is scrambling quite so desperately.

1. tashkalucy - Dec 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Whoops……

It fits better here! Maybe Damon can go back to his buddies with the Indians – the FO, ownership, and PR head. They’re always good for a song-and-dance!

2. bravojawja - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

What does “if I am used the right way” mean, exactly? And is it the same thing as “how much I want to play”?

Cuz I bet he won’t want to play for an NL team that wants him to pinch hit in the middle innings and make some occasional spot starts in left. And that’s if he makes the team after signing a minor league deal with an invite to Spring Training.

3. steve7921 - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Hey Johnny…my coed-softball team needs a left fielder!

• pinkfloydprism - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

He has the arm to fit right in!

• genericcommenter - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:09 AM

He could join one of those gay softball teams with the quota for straight players, where they make the weaker players pretend to be gay.

• tuberippin - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:11 PM

wtf?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Commenter: Are you telling us you play in a Gay softball league? A gay softball league that has a quota for straight players? How many straight players do you have? Is just your SS, 3rd Baseman and 2nd Baseman? I am fairly safe in assuming your Catcher is gay and you catch. Correct?

• genericcommenter - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

I don’t but such leagues exist and been written about extensively on various baseball and sports web sites.

• mskost63 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:02 AM

WOW!!! Dude, what the f%#k are u talking about….???

• genericcommenter - Mar 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

If he still wants to play, he can play softball.

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 18, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Please know I was only joking (at least partially). Hahaha!
        It seemed with both failed miserably (if the thumb downs are any indication).

4. malvord13 - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Ya and I want to play too

5. mybrunoblog - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It’s over Johnny.

6. pinkfloydprism - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM

“Who is Johnny?”

7. richwizl - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Time and unforeseen circumstances befall us all. Find a hobby.

8. fanofevilempire - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:59 AM

hey johnny boy, stay home and play with your wife……………

9. daniz34 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:48 AM

If he can get to White Plains by 7:00 on Wednesday nights, I could use him on my co-ed softball team. He’d have to bat in the 8th, 9th or 10th slots, however, as all of us women are batting higher than the .271, .261, and .222 numbers he’s put up over the last 3 seasons.

10. beelza - Dec 7, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Johnny Damon still wants to play. Dolly Parton still wants to buy bras. Who cares?

11. banger73 - Dec 7, 2012 at 1:01 PM

try hockey!

12. rayfeathers - Dec 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM

how about the royals? they don’ t care about winning, and he could end his career where it started.

13. 13arod - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:28 AM

tampa sign him again

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4447)