Report: Andruw Jones signs with Japanese team

Dec 7, 2012, 5:50 PM EST

Andruw Jones Getty Images

Nikkansports.com is reporting that the Rakuten Golden Eagles and Andruw Jones have come to terms on a one-year deal worth 300 million yen, or approximately $3.6 million.

If so, Jones becomes one of the biggest MLB stars ever to make the jump to Japan. The 35-year-old hit .197/.294/.408 with 14 homers and 34 RBI in 233 at-bats for the Yankees last season. Because of his late-season struggles, he probably wasn’t looking at much more than a one-year, $1.5 million contract in the U.S. He can also play regularly in Japan, an opportunity no MLB team has offered him since his horrible 2008 season with the Dodgers.

Jones, who was on a Hall of Fame path prior to 2008, has hit .254/.337/.486 with 434 homers and 1,289 RBI in 17 major league seasons. He won a Gold Glove 10 straight years from 1998-2007.

(hat-tip to NPB Tracker)

1. pisano - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Great, and stay there.

• uyf1950 - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM

I agree.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM

I am sure that you know that non Yankee fans disagree. I wonder who they will sign to replace him. It will probably be a down on his luck veteran player.

• badintent - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:13 AM

@proudlynohockey
        yeah, they might get stuck with another Raul Ibanez, an old Stud like that. You’re an idiot on baseball,stick to NHL son. Joe Carter is doing meds commercials, 1990 was a long time ago. Your knowledge of baseball from that date forward has cease to exist.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Memo to badintent. It is always amusing when people prove that they should never be allowed near the Internet. The only person who could call me “son” died 3 years ago at the age of 93. Since I am the spitting image of dad’s father, unlike you, I am certain that I am not a bastard.

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Proudly canadian. I think the Yanks signed Hunter -who seeems an almost 1 for 12 replacement in kind. (Old guys that used to be goood fielders. I was kind of hoping for a Yankees alll nostalgia outfield. Pretty sooon it willl match the Jeter, Rodriguez infield.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:24 AM

With the Yankees, Jones was primarily a reserve. I am sure that they will probably replace him on their bench with an experienced player who is willing to be a part timer.

• jwbiii - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Hunter signed with the Tigers, 2/$26M.

2. uyf1950 - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Sayonara, Andruw Jones.

3. hojo20 - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Another stats compiler like Craig Biggio.

• thereisaparty - Dec 7, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Yes, like Craig Biggio, Andruw Jones was awesome at baseball. And teams paid for his services even after his skills diminished. Was he not supposed to sign those contracts? Or just always play at an all-star level?

• mogogo1 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Between them, Jones and Biggio were All-Stars 12 times and won 14 Golden Gloves. Those are awfully good stats to compile.

4. APBA Guy - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

When I think of Jones, I don’t think of the 10 straight Gold Gloves in center field. I think of the $ 36.2 M deal Boras got for him in LA when Jones was coming off a .724 OPS year. In 2008, the first year of the LA contract, his OPS was .505.

• badintent - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Gotta be no more” roids for me” syndrome !

5. paint771 - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Has anybody actually been a Nippon game in Japan? I’ve got to say, just from the weird collection of MLB players they’ve gotten in the last couple of years, sounds like a lot of fun.

And geez, Jones has had 17 MLB seasons? I feel old.

• thereisaparty - Dec 7, 2012 at 7:42 PM

• Old Gator - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Been to several. Went to a game between the Tigers and Giants in Tokyo that Hanshin won 1-0, then went to a game in Kobe (beautiful stadium) that Yomiuri won 1-0 in 11 innings about ten days later. Unless it was the other way around. It was about six or seven years ago. But the game I remember best was between the Hakata Swallows and the Toyo Carp in Hiroshima – the Carp won going away with a barrage of dingers but the strangest thing about it was sitting between home and third with a clear view past the scoreboard of the “Bomb Dome,” the old mercantile mart that was directly beneath the atomic bomb when it went off and was the only mutli-story building left standing. It had a glass and steel framed dome that mostly melted, leaving just a skeleton of the frame. Just an odd contrast between the ballgame and the history.

Otherwise, yeah, Japanese ballgames are a lot of fun. The fans really get into it and there are hardly any empty seats. If you want to go to a Japanese baseball game, you pretty much have to order your tickets weeks, if not months, before heading over there.

• badintent - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Great game, but the sushi was 3X the price here.

• Old Gator - Dec 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

There were loads of “conveyor belt” sushi bars all over Tokyo, Kobe and just about everywhere else (our favorite was in the shinkansen station in Kyoto) that cost a third of what sushi costs here, and had a wide variety of pacific seafood and fish you can hardly ever find on the east coast – great stuff like kohada, shiruao, anago, himo, you name it. And if you eat in the small restaurants, yakitori stands and noodle bars, you can dine like a king at a peasant’s price over there. ‘Course if you go to the fancy places downtown you’re gonna get raped, just like here.

• cosanostra71 - Dec 7, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m going to Japan next year and I’m hoping to go to NPB game!

6. thereisaparty - Dec 7, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Why is there all this bitterness directed at Andruw Jones? Because he didn’t live up to expectations after signing a contract? What about crediting him for playing at a HOF-level and for being one of the best defensive CF in the history of the game?

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Because he was a juicer

Now go call the lawyers who won’t make a lick of difference in the court of public opinion

• genericcommenter - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Because he was fast and productive as a young player and then got fat and old when he hit 30?

That’s interesting. I thought the juicers were the ones who got better and more muscular, not the guys who had the drop-offs similar to players in the old days.

Was Jimmie Foxx a juicer?

Have you ever inspected his back for acne?

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:15 PM

He stopped juicing once he got paid?
        Jimmy Foxx never had any type of drop off like Jones. Bravo on that complete miss.
        Yawn, you keep believing he was clean, while Jones goes nowhere near the Hall without a ticket.

The only people who will miss Jones are the delusional Brave fans and the strippers in the ATL.

Juiced from the start until he got paid and smartly stopped for his health says what?

7. deathmonkey41 - Dec 7, 2012 at 8:31 PM

I hope the Japanese like guys who smile when they strike out looking.

8. spudchukar - Dec 7, 2012 at 8:54 PM

What is with all the hate? One thing for sure he shouldn’t have any difficulty picking up the language, if history is any indication.

• ezthinking - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Easy. The bitter folks were in early grade school when A. Jones was playing at his top level.

9. kappy32 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:54 AM

Honest question… Do you guys think he has done enough to get into Cooperstown? He’s certainly not a first ballot guy, but his numbers are comparable to many other HoF outfielders, especially CF, and his defense was the best in the game for a decade-plus. Given where he comes from & his rapid ascention to one of the game’s top CFs, I would not be surprised that he used PEDd at some point. Nevertheless, he has not been conclusively tied to any substance taking & can be labeled “clean” (or as “clean” as you can be when it comes to players in MLB’s Steroid Era). I have been a lifelong Mets fan & I have watched to the point of nausea where he & his Jones brother, Chipper, ruined good Mets seasons. If I’m not mistaken, he has 400-plus home runs & almost 1300 RBI. There were a few years at the beginning of his career that he put up 25-30 SBs as well; he was a perennial 30-30 threat from ’96-’01. On the other hand, he never “dominated” the game & never finished higher than 5th on any given MVP ballot. If you look at his numbers, they are borderline & don’t jump out as HoF worthy. Despite that, I believe there are two elements to Jones’ career that puts him over the top: (1) he was an important cog on a very successful team, arguably The Team of the 90’s, and he put up some pretty damn good postseason numbers (.273/.363/.796/10 HR/36 RBI in 76 games); and (2) he was probably the BEST defensive CF of our generation; as a matter of fact, he WAS the best & the closest to him was Griffey, Jr., a distant second place. It’s certainly an interesting debate, especially since these jack-off “writers” are going to play the Holier Than Thou routine & not admit deserving players because of “suspected” PED use.

In my opinion, Andruw Jones is a Hall of Famer. I don’t think he deserves a first-ballot (had he hit 500 HR & 1500 RBI then he would be deserving). I would like to hear some input on this from you guys. I know Craig is a big supporter of Bagwell’s candidacy & in my opinion, Jones is more deserving than Bagwell. The two of them had very similar careers & arguments can be made for and against both. If I had one vote, though, I would give it to Jones over Bagwell.

10. ezthinking - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:25 AM

kappy32 – Maybe he did or maybe he didn’t, but piss on your attitude about baseball. A needle doesn’t make you a star; the list of users caught proves that.

Who was the best during the time? Simple as that. Was Andruw the best during his time (or 5-10 year span)? Now discuss. For all you know, Griffey is just as likely to have shot up as anyone yet he’ll walk in.

Simply put, stick your PED shit up your ass, maybe the comment will hit your brain.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Steroid apologist says what?
      You sound mad, maybe you should wipe your nose and calm down before your tears short out your computer.

Say hello to the 51 HR’s in 2005 for me and the 41 HR’s in 2006, and while you’re at it warn them that Andrew is about to become a replacement level player 1 year later. and remain so the rest of his career.

K? Thx

• kappy32 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Hey asshole, you’re talking to the wrong person. I am the same person who believes that PED users should be in the HoF with the exception of those caught redhanded. It was an era in baseball where only the stupid ones weren’t using. What I am saying with Jones is that his stats are so borderline that if he was caught using steroids then he wouldn’t have a shot making it in. I don’t like the attitude the BBWAA have taken towards their job; they seem to feel that it is their job to punish those they “suspect” of using steroids, not only the ones who have been caught, with proof. These are the same guys who probably screw the college interns at their paper’s office & blow lines of coke to stay up & meet a deadline. I don’t like the writers, period. The majority of players were using steroids during this current voting period, therefore in my opinion, the best players, steroids or not, should be voted in. So next time you make some stupid ass comment, prick, take a look at the dozen or so comments I’ve made on the topic. If you don’t know where I stand after that, then your dumber than I believe you are right now.

• ezthinking - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Any fool who believes there are “first ballot” hall of famers and non-first ballot hof is a pure moron. In or not, there are not layers of hof’r.

And the magic in the needle believers are truly fools. Are they so dense that they can see that supporting the theory encourages more players and kids to use? Dipshits. End of story.

11. stanleyfrankmusial - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM

kappy32 – i say no, Jones is not a HOFer. Hall of Very Good, yes. but the steep decline over the last 5 years is hard to ignore. and that .254 lifetime BA sticks out like the proverbial sore thumb…call me old-fashioned, but i still think BA is a relevant stat.

12. 13arod - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

there goes probley a hall of famer we will miss him i hope he comes back

13. rayfeathers - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM

good riddance. this guy doesn’ t give two shits about the game. he smiles when he strikes out and was AWOL in LA. didn’ t even try in my opinion. only thing on his mind, $$$$$$. he doesn’ t belong in the hall and probably doesn’ t even care.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester