Report: Ryan Dempster turns down two-year, $25 million deal from Red Sox

Dec 7, 2012, 11:21 PM EST

Ryan Dempster AP

According to Gordon Edes of ESPN Boston, free agent right-hander Ryan Dempster has rejected a two-year, $25 million offer from the Red Sox.

Dempster previously rejected a similar two-year, $26 million offer from the Royals while the Brewers have been reluctant to go beyond two years. Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel believes that he will sign with the first team who offers him a three-year contract.

Dempster had a 3.38 ERA and 153/52 K/BB ratio over 173 innings this past season, including a 5.09 ERA in 12 starts after being traded to the Rangers in late July. While things didn’t go all that smoothly during his first stint in the American League, the 35-year-old right-hander managed an impressive 70/25 K/BB ratio over 69 innings.

1. danielcp0303 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:26 PM

If he gets a 3 year deal, great for him…but I’d do horrible things for a 2 year, 25 mil contract.

• frank433 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

What would you do for a Klondike bar?

2. boyofzimmer - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Hope this clown goes to Japan so he’s on the other side of the globe.

3. mydadyourmom - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:33 PM

Foolish move Dempster.

• badintent - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Of course, he got hit too many times in the head playing hockey in Canada. The dude was waiting tables in The Keg steakhouse even after he signed his first big contract. Like he needed to take some job away from someone who really needed it.Loser

• bozosforall - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Sour grapes from a crybaby Boston chump.

• badintent - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Dude , for the last freakin time, I’m a New Yorker, never even been to Boston. I hate everything Southern Cal, overrated, over priced over hyped, over the hill Baseball and basketball teams, you lost all your NFL teams thanks to your bandwagon beach ball head fans and your punk city mayors refusal to build a new stadium for them.Chargers will leave town with no new digs in sight. Now your state is broke and your sales tax won’t do shit to bring it back. I look for Texas to buy Cali with oil $$ and put half the cons to death sentence so they can lay off half the state guards to save $$ for the state budget.
        I’m the Terminator and I approve everything Badintent said !!

4. shorttracknews - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Report: Ryan Dempster thinks higher of himself then anyone else in baseball…

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:50 PM

If Hardricourt is correct then 3 years $6 million. See you in camp Ryan.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Well that comment didn’t go where it was supposed to.

5. brewcrewfan54 - Dec 7, 2012 at 11:47 PM

“How’s he supposed to feed his family on $12.5 million a year?”

– Wondered Latrell Sprewell again

• dcfan4life - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:03 AM

Ya know Latrell Sprewell is flat broke anyways. And its awesome.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM

dude, I used that line last week,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

be original and get you shit………………..

6. Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Dempster would take 25 mil for two seasons with teams other than the Royals and Red Sox. I’d say that if I were him I’d be thinking” I made a lot of money and I’m getting old so I want to land on a team I want to play with. I want the playoffs.” Then walk off into the sunset. I bet he gets an offer from a team he likes at the same amount and takes the gig.

• Jack Marshall - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

The Red Sox have a great shot at the play-offs. Silly opinions like this are why John Farrell should be the odds-on favorite for manager of the year. A team that crashes with tons of freakish injuries and off-years, with money to burn, in a division up for grabs? I’ll take that bet. Dempster is a fool.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:10 AM

The chances of the Red Sox to make the playoffs aside. The team is one of the least favorable in baseball right now from a player standpoint, like it or not. Sell outs or not. It has a kind of toxic vibe due to the turmoil there lately. This is why they had to overpay Shane Victorino. I just think a guy like Dempster just wants to pick the gig that’ll make him happiest. Don’t think this guy doesn’t have 6-8 teams talking to his agent right now.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:27 AM

They fired the main instigator in Valentine and they still pay american money. Large market with a lot of talent and there’s still plenty of guys who want to play there. They have their faults but I have a feeling players still feel a lot differently about Boston than us fans do.

• bozosforall - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Jackoff Marshmellow is a typical delusional Boton fan who can’t see that his favorite franchise is a perennial loser. Two measly titles in nearly a century is pathetic given all of the money that idiots like Yawkey and John Henry have spent on those bums.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Jonny 5, how have you been? You haven’t been around much this year. good to have you back.

• Jonny 5 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Just very busy thanks UYF. I read more than comment anymore. I hope all is well with you.
        I have nothing against the Red Sox, I just think that if the Royals and Red Sox were the only teams offering Dempster deals he would have signed with the Royals or Red Sox. The fact that we’re hearing who he isn’t signing with tells me there are other teams giving him offers of similar value that he hasn’t ruled out yet.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Jonny 5, everything is good here. Good luck to the Phillies this year.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Jack Marshall, with all due respect. That’s probably a bet you would lose. Look at it this way the Red Sox finished last the the AL East with 69 wins that was 26 wins less than the Yankees, 24 winns less than the Orioles, 21 wins less than the Rays and 4 wins less than the Jays and the Jays added this winter Josh Johnson, Jose Reyes and Mark Buehrle which is a significant improvement over their 2012 team.
        The Red Sox finished with the 3rd worst record in the American League that means 11 teams had a better record then they did. Now there are only 5 postseason spots in each division. The Red Sox aren’t going to win the AL East in 2013 not even die in the wool Red Sox fan can dispute that. So that means they have to make the postseason as a wild card. The 2 teams in the American League that made the wild card in 2012 each won over 90 games. Based on what the Red Sox have done so far signing Victorino, Napoli, David Ross and Jonny Gomes and putting money aside do you believe that makes them a 90 plus winning team in 2013? Remembering they lost Gonzo and probably Cody Ross. Napoli is NOT Gonzo and whether or not you liked Cody Ross he provided more offense then the Sox are going to get from Victorino.
        And please don’t use the injury excuse, every team has injuries. The Yankees sustained injuries to key players all year. The Jays were devastated by injuries to their pitching staff and to Bautista just to name a few. Good teams find a way to win, bad teams find a way to lose and whether you’re willing to admit it or not the Red Sox were and are a bad team until they prove otherwise. That’s just my opinion.

• thinman61 - Dec 8, 2012 at 7:18 AM

UYF, who do you think is going to win the AL East this year? The Yankees, another year older and currently without a third baseman? The Rays, with their strong-arm no-bat roster who always seem to come up a bit short? The O’s, who seriously outperformed their pythag last year but seem unlikely to do it again? The Jays, who finished 4 games ahead of the Red Sox and just reloaded with a bunch of players with a team that won fewer games than they did? Why not Boston?

Look, I’m not saying the Red Sox should be anyone’s favorite to win the division, or even make the playoffs. Especially if they don’t add a legitimate #3 starter before Opening Day. Right now they look to be, on paper, about an 85 win team. But the games aren’t played on paper, so who’s to say Boston can’t catch a bit of they type of luck Baltimore enjoyed last year and make a run at it? Especially in a division that looks increasingly like a wide open crapshoot.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Thinman, my friend please don’t take this the wrong way. But I don’t know what paper you are looking at that makes the Red Sox look like an 85 win team but you should cancel that subscription if you have have one. Yes, I do think the Yankees are the favorite and until someone beats them it will remain that way. Yes the Yankees are getting older and I’ve heard non Yankees fans beat that horse to death year after year yet all the Yankees continue to do is win. Don’t know if you’ve noticed but the Red Sox got older also. The Red Sox main offensive threat Ortiz is 37 years old and can’t even make it around the basses without coming up lame like an old war horse. And the players that aren’t that old are untested, prospects with almost no MLB experience. Do you think guys like Lavarnway, Iglesias, Ross, Victorino, Gomes, Melancon, Bailey and Morales are going to put the Red Sox over the top. Do you think Napoli is as good of an offensive and defensive player as the guy the Red Sox shipped off to the Dodgers in July (Gonzalez)? Or do you think Farrell is that good of a manager that he’s going to take a 69 win team to 85 wins by his will alone. Like I said please don’t take the comments the wrong way, but I’m tired of hearing fans say the Yankees are getting older and ignoring the fact that for the most part all they do is keep winning and proving their doubters wrong. That’s just my opinion.

• thinman61 - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

UYF, when the Sox take the field against your team on Opening Day, they will—unlike last September—at least do so with a roster of players who legitimately belong on a major league field. No more platoon of Ciriaco, Gomez, and De Jesus at third base, no more starts by Aaron Cook, and—thankfully—no more Bobby Freaking Valentine in the dugout.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Thinman, that may be true. But they will also be taking the field with a left fielder Jonny Gomes) who to say the least is defensively challenged and can’t hit RHP’ing worth a like. So he will have to be platooned. They will be taking the field with a center fielder who has missed the majority of games in 2 of his last 3 seasons. They will be taking the field with a right fielder (Shane Victorino) who last played right-field for any amount of games in 2007 and who is coming off a very poor 2012 season. The will be taking the field with a 1st baseman who is better suited to catch and who lacks the defensive skills at first base of the guy who started the 2012 season for the Red Sox. They will be starting the season with who at short stop? And who’s going to be their starting catcher: Salty who seem to at least be thinking about trying to trade, Lavarnway, Ross with Napoli occasionally filling in. They will be starting the season with a starting rotation of: Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, Doubront and Morales. for the most part that’s the same starting rotation that finished the 2012 season with the 27th worst ERA in the Major Leagues and accounted for only 48 of the teams 69 wins. So that maybe true about the Sox starting the 2013 season with Major League players but I still wouldn’t count of much of an improvement in the teams overall performance based on the roster as it exists today. That’s just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

correction: worth a “lick”…..

• thinman61 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Gotta love baseball, UYF. May the best team win. :)

• uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Thinman, yes you do gotta love it. Best to you guys as well. If for no other reason then no teams fans should have to go through what Red Sox fans went through last year. Take care.

• astrofaninkc - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:11 AM

I think his taste of AL hitting may have turned him off to pitching in AL for the rest of his career, however much longer that might be. I bet Dempster would take 2 years 20 mil from an NL contender, especially if they play in a neutral or pitcher-friendly park. Why not the Nationals? That rotation is already devastating, and with Dempster as the 4th or 5th guy in the rotation, they could “easily” win 100 games. Of course, this is all speculation without knowing their payroll limitations. Dodgers or Giants could fit, unless he’s not into playing in California. This is all just spitballing on my part, but if I’m Dempster (35 years old and never been deep in the playoffs) these would be my ideal landing spots.

7. Jeremiah Graves - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:09 AM

My slowpitch team could use another pitcher. Hell, we’ll give him 10-years…20 if he really wants it. We don’t pay anything, but I’ll buy him a beer or two after every game (that he wins) and I can bring him a Powerbar or something.

Anyone have his agent’s phone number?

8. tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Good God the Red Sox will NEVER LEARN to STOP importing NL pitchers (particularly ones who have already proven they can’t handle the American League).

They got lucky ONCE doing that with Josh Beckett, and even he was INCREDIBLY bad when he first came over….and INCREDIBLY bad off and on after that. (Actually that spurred me to look it up….2 and a half season with an ERA above 5 vs 2 great seasons and 2 pretty good seasons)….

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Oh my bad.

Curt Schilling was awesome 75% of the time when he came over too.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Goddammit….

And Pedro.

But Ryan Dempster is neither Schilling nor Pedro.

• torrigjp - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

f*ck butter, pull it together

• bozosforall - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Yet another delusional idiot in tflikesitinthebutt.

• tfbuckfutter - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Never fails. No matter how ridiculous someone’s screen name is there is always one jackass who thinks he can make fun of it. I could name myself “GorillaCookieNipples” and some humorless neanderthal like Clownsfornone (herpa derpa see what I did there?!) would think it’s clever to change the name to “ChimpOreoButthole”……

Seriously man. You are what is wrong with the internet. Just go back to yelling “FIRST” and stop spraining your brain.

9. bigtrav425 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m a Dempster fan but he is nuts for turning these offers down!! His agent is giving him bad advice!

10. matckeeper - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:31 AM

This guy has Jeff Supan written all over him. I really hope the Brewers front office avoid putting their fans through that again. Then again, it would be nice to see them make a move at some point this winter.
    Hamilton to Brewtown??

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Forget Hamilton. It aint happening.

• brewcrewchamps - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Not a chance. Don’t really need Hamilton even though he would be nice to have. I just don’t want to see another Suppan/Wolf deal happen.

Then again without Dempster it’s go big or go home with the young pitchers

• matckeeper - Dec 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM

No, I know…Hamilton wont even get an offer from the Crew.
        I’m just hoping they don’t put out a 3 yr offer to Dempster, its a mistake if they do.

11. sabatimus - Dec 8, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Lemme guess. Boras?

• jwbiii - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Craig Landis

• paperlions - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Nope, that would be Craig Landis.

12. skeleteeth - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:33 AM

THANK THE LORD JESUS CHRIST WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU THINKING HUH?????

13. xpensivewinos - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:57 AM

That right there is a blessing in disguise.

However, it looks like the Sox were asleep at the wheel regarding McCarthy.

14. uyf1950 - Dec 8, 2012 at 1:58 AM

My heart goes out to Ryan Dempster. Whether or not you like him as a pitcher put yourself in his place. Your a FA, most FA’s probably only want 2 things:
    1) To make globs and globs and globs of money
    2) To sign with the team that gives them a chance of making the playoffs and ultimately the World Series

Now in the real world $25 or $26MM is globs and globs of money but in the baseball world it’s more like chump change. Especially when you consider that Shane Victorino just signed for $39MM and Zack Greinke is looking at a potential $150MM plus payday. So I can appreciate Dempster’s disappointment with a mere $25MM offer.
    As for signing with a team with a chance to make the playoffs and World Series. As if it’s not enough to suffer the indignity of being offered 2/3rd’s of what Shane Victorino was offered both in dollars and years the ONLY 2 teams willing to offer him a contract are the Red Sox and Royals. Two teams which any sane person knows have no chance of making the playoffs in the immediate future.
    So at 35 years old (36 in May 2013) Ryan Dempster’s free agency dreams appear to be going up in smoke. My sympathies go out to Ryan Dempster perhaps a a White Knight GM will come riding to his rescue him from this “Purgatory”. That’s just my opinion.

• brewcrewfan54 - Dec 8, 2012 at 2:23 AM

You’re right. I’m heartbroken for him too. Lucky for me my neighborhood tavern sells domestic bottles for $2.00 a piece so I’m able to manage my heartache.

15. jaybird22seven - Dec 8, 2012 at 7:12 AM

It’s hard to be the manager of the year on a last place team. Good luck John !!!!

16. ejannetta - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Who in their right mind would want to play for the Red Sox? The team is going no where and the ball park is a DUMP. The owners don’t care what team they put on the field because Boston fans will fill the seats and pay top dollar to watch what ever team is put on the field. They have no starting pitching after Lester and Bucholtz and even they had mediocre seasons last year.

• shawon0meter - Dec 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

We are talking about a guy that just played for the Cubs for 9 years

17. baloneyjohn - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:16 AM

A greedy, egocentric SOB

18. tominma - Dec 8, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Dempster is 35! A 3 yr contract for a guy with his latest ERA over 5.00 is nuts! The Red Sox arent gonna sign anyone for more than 3 years until their talented prospects are ready for the big leagues! Besides, National League pitcher often dont do very well in the AL because the hitting is much better! The Sox blockbuster trade brought in more talent and freed up over $250M in payroll.The Sox Look for them to be active in free agency for big ticket players in 2015 or so. That’s the plan.

BTW. The Sox have spent well over $100M in improving Fenway Park! It’s still small and tight, but it’s a jewel!

19. jaybird22seven - Dec 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

The Red Sox will finish last again this year !!!! Have fun Boston !!!

20. aldenschuman - Dec 8, 2012 at 9:30 AM

As a Red Sox fan, thank god. The guy’s 36 and an NL pitcher, i didn’t see good things if he came to boston

21. tonyz6060chevy - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I think he’s holding out for the Dodgers to make him an offer.The heart wants what the heart wants. I’m curious to see if the Dodgers do make him an offer, will he sign with them at a significantly lower price tag than what the other teams are offering him?

22. rayfeathers - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:05 AM

just keep that silly glove wagging crap out of LA. . two for 25 isn’ t good enough for an aging slightly better than average #three? what goes on in these guy’ s heads?

23. theskinsman - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:15 AM

This Sox fan is glad he passed.I’d rather see what the youngsters can do from the minors than waste money on another past his prime player.Go to the Bronx, then you wouldn’t even be the 2nd oldest guy pitching there.

To the fortune tellers predicting the Red Sox to finish last…I don’t recall any of you rocket scientists saying that a year ago. Most of you were whining that Boston had become the Evil Empire light and were stacked to win.

This off season so far the Yanks have gotten worse as they’ve signed ancient,injured players with a prayer all of them can come back…a crap shoot at best,unlikely all of them can make it back to their former level of skill,no matter what supplements they get. No one knows how a season will play out, that’s why they actually play the games.

Toronto has made a move to improve, the O’s gave the Yanks all they wanted in the playoffs and while Boston hasn’t made any moves for all-stars,they have added decent position players who may or may not get a boost from a new team and ball park.

My opinion is it’s anybodies division.

24. oldson50 - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:58 AM

It is frightening to me that the Sox management isn’t a better judge of talent than to do this. Thank the stars he thinks he can do better. My God, where are the talent evaluators on this team. This guy is dreadful. He’d make Lackey look like a success story.

25. jaybird22seven - Dec 8, 2012 at 4:02 PM

The team with the healthiest starting rotation will when the AL East !!! Good luck to everyone. Oh ya suck it Yankees. I had to add that.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5169)