“This season?” “Last season?” “Next season?” What season is it?

Dec 7, 2012, 2:30 PM EDT

schedule planner

A tweet from my friend Cee Angi a few minutes ago once again raised the question of how we should refer to the 2012 season and the 2013 season. Specifically, when does the former cease being “this season and become “last season” and when does the latter cease being “next season” and become “this season.” And, for that matter, what in the hell do we call where we are right now?

I tackled this two years ago. But to review my stance on it, with the proviso that I am not in favor of us ever having a time when there is no “this season” because that is truly sad:

•  I will not be subject to the tyranny of the calendar. January 1st is a non-starter for switching from “this season” to “last season” as far as I’m concerned, as it has no organic relationship to baseball, which has its own calendar that can be easily navigated without reference to the names of the months (“October” being the only possible exception).
  • Opening Day is far too late for me for the change. We are way, way too invested in actual on-the-field activity before then.
  • Pitchers and catchers reporting is too late too, because everyone is well into thinking about the upcoming season for that.

So figure it out, everyone. I’m probably just gonna make it up each time I write something anyway.

1. mazblast - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM

I’m with FC on this. As soon as one WS is over, it becomes “last season” and the upcoming one becomes “this season”. “Next season” is the one after that. 2012 is last season, 2013 is this season, 2014 is next season.

Of course, for some teams and their fans, all they have to look forward to is “next season”, or “next-next season”, or…

2. Gamera the Brave - Dec 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

For the record, this week is next week’s last week.

• nbjays - Dec 8, 2012 at 7:07 AM

… and last week’s next week. :-)

3. historiophiliac - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM

This is baseball purgatory. It should be referred to as such. It lacks baseballness and there’s no other way around it. There are three time periods: last season, purgatory, next season. For me, 2013 starts when pitchers & catchers report. Then it will be this season.

4. offseasonblues - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:15 PM

For some seasonal affective disorder reason I feel the need to weigh in on this …
    2012 is last season. 2013 is next season. It can be called this season starting on January 1st, or Truck Day or Opening Day, but until pitchers and catchers report and Spring Training begins, This is the off season.

There was a time when one had to check a newspaper once(!) a day and hope to find some baseball news. Days and weeks could go by without a word. I’m quite grateful for the interwebs.

5. thebadguyswon - Dec 7, 2012 at 6:22 PM

Its the 2013 season, IMO.

6. Lilee - Dec 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM

I’m with FC and Mazblast. The season ends with the World Series finale and becomes “last season” anything after that becomes “this season” and the season after that becomes “next season.” Therefore, at this time, 2012 = last season. 2013 = this season. 2014 = next season. Easy.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5100)