Dec 7, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Gardner missed all but 16 games this year because of an elbow injured suffered in April and was arbitration eligible for the second time after making $2.8 million in 2012.
Prior to the injury he was an elite defensive left fielder and a dynamic player at the bottom of the Yankees’ lineup, getting on base at a .360 clip and stealing 45 bags per 150 games from 2009-2011. He’ll be under team control again in 2014 before becoming a free agent at age 30.
UPDATE: Gardner signed for $2.85 million.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)