Dec 7, 2012, 2:16 PM EDT
Gardner missed all but 16 games this year because of an elbow injured suffered in April and was arbitration eligible for the second time after making $2.8 million in 2012.
Prior to the injury he was an elite defensive left fielder and a dynamic player at the bottom of the Yankees’ lineup, getting on base at a .360 clip and stealing 45 bags per 150 games from 2009-2011. He’ll be under team control again in 2014 before becoming a free agent at age 30.
UPDATE: Gardner signed for $2.85 million.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 16
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)