A-Rod says diagnosis on hip provided some relief

Dec 8, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT

a-rod getty Getty Images

Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez posted a .764 OPS in the second half of the 2012 season and went 3-for-27 (.120) in the playoffs. So it was sort of reassuring, confidence-wise, when he was diagnosed this month with a torn muscle in his left hip because he actually had something to blame for his struggles.

Here’s A-Rod, speaking about the injury this weekend with David Villavicencio of MLB.com:

“It was a crushing blow when we got to Vail, Colorado, and I talked to my doctors,” Rodriguez said. “It was obviously a big blow, but there is a very small part of me that is relieved that there is a tangible issue and we can adjust and get back to playing really good baseball. … We’ve been down this road before. We have a good plan and a good team in place. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

Rodriguez will go under the knife in mid-January and should be ready to rejoin the Yankees by July.

New York has made a one-year, $12 million offer to Kevin Youkilis to provide insurance at third base.

1. hammyofdoom - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I can understand where he’d have some relief. I’m not a professional athlete, but finding out that I had a knee issue for years and it wasn’t just in my head/me being a wimp made me feel a little better. The only difference is that was when I was 18… this guy is twice that age, and I have a sinking feeling that Arod is going the way of Mike Lowell here really quick. I may not be a huge fan of him but I hate seeing athletes go down with injury like this

• purnellmeagrejr - Dec 9, 2012 at 7:57 AM

You seem to have it just about covered. It’s consoling to him that there’s a physical reason why he’s stunk. Unfortunately, there’s every reason to believe that this sort of thing is his future.

2. mybrunoblog - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM

There has been so much negativity thrown in Arods direction let me be the optimist for a minute. If Rodriguez has this surgery and it is successful he can be an above average player again. He will have most of his mobility back so his defense should be good. With a good hip I think it is reasonable to expect him to be a 20+ homer guy and drive in 80 or 90 runs. Now i KNOW he is getting paid way too much to be a slightly better than average player but we all knew from the day his deal was signed that it was a terrible contract. Gotta be positive and hope for the best.

• husky2score - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM

No, he will be an above average player with another dose or two of ‘em steroids.

• bozosforall - Dec 9, 2012 at 10:36 PM

So THAT’S how David Ortiz did it.

3. dcfan4life - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:45 PM

So before it was 7 awful postseason, 1 good one. Now he has 6 awful postseasons, one to blame on injury, and 1 good one. Since its baseball i guess that technically doesnt count as an official at bat and improves his average, by his standards anyways….

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 8, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Pretty much every number in there is wrong. You do realize there’s a website that breaks down all of this right?

• stabonerichard - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:33 PM

ARod–like the Yankees in general–has had success against the Twins in the postseason, but otherwise been terrible. Does it really need to be broken down further?

• stabonerichard - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:58 PM

More specifically, when not facing the Minnesotans, ARod is a sub-.250 hitter with a sub-.800 OPS during his postseason career. Superstar!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Wrong again

Taking out MN he’s hit:
        .242/.413/.429 for a 0.842 OPS. Mr. November/Captain Clutch/etc in all of his games in the postseason has hit .308/.374/.465 for a 0.838 OPS.

4. cackalackyank - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I can see there being a bit of a lift to finding out that he was trying to play hurt. What I still do not see is why it took so ****ing long to go figure it out…and why (prehab or no) it will be another 6 WEEKS before you go get it operated on?!?!?

5. stabonerichard - Dec 8, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Yeah, showing up in the winter paradise that is Vail, Colorado to find out about another injury that will cut short an admitted cheater’s run towards the HR record… well, that must have been a harrowing experience. With 100+ homers till Barry’s record and $100M+ owed on his current deal, I can only hope Arod will have the strength to carry on & reach those fulfilling measures.

6. lionsplayoffs - Dec 9, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Steroid fraud

7. mazblast - Dec 9, 2012 at 2:00 AM

BTW, 3-for-27 isn’t .120, it’s .111.

How do you like what you’re getting for your money, Yankees?

8. madtownthrowdown - Dec 9, 2012 at 7:30 AM

Look here A-Rod I have the cure for this Hip thing, Go hunting with Robin Yount. To soon?

• danrizzle - Dec 9, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Not sure whether’s it’s too soon, but that was definitely not funny.

9. klink6224 - Dec 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’m looking for some help here and mainly from the older posters. Is/Was there a time in your sports fandom life where you realized you were turning into an “old” fan? That you found yourself so embittered with certain players/teams/etc that you just couldn’t wait until their demise or retired? I know ARod has been one of the greatest players of this generation (cheating or not) yet I just can’t wait til I never have to hear his name anymore. This isn’t just for him but he’s a frontrunner in this thinking.

I feel almost bad that I don’t have that “ooo we gotta enjoy this while we can” mentality, I almost feel like at a crossroads of losing my sports innocence and turning that corner to crotchety old sports fan. Am I alone or does every sports fan kinda get this feeling as they get older? And if so, around what age do you start to “turn”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM

yet I just can’t wait til I never have to hear his name anymore.

Can I ask why?

• hammyofdoom - Dec 9, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I totally understand it. It’s not so much that you hate Arod, you just hat hearing about him. I’m only 22 but Bret Favre made me quite bitter with this “retire, cry, play, rinse, repeat” cycle that was on ESPN every damn winter

10. jeteribarelyknowher - Dec 9, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Sad when people resort to bashing someone they have no relationship with personally. Is it jealously? There is a lot to be jealous about. It’s more of an indictment of the “hater” than it is of Alex. It used to be funny reading or hearing grown men get so angry over him, now it’s just pathetic.

• klink6224 - Dec 9, 2012 at 2:31 PM

It’s not that I’m bashing him. especially out of any type of jealousy. I’ve come to the conclusion that all these guys have all earned and worked for what they have and good for them, it is something I obviously couldn’t do and chose not to do.

As a sports fan however I do get tired of the same story lines, The same drama. The same over-hyped players and teams and the neglect of those deserving. ARod has definitely run his course for headlines and the “breaking down of Alex” from primadonna to just one of the boys and all that mess. It just gets tiresome. Much like Hammy said the Favre story is much the same and it applies to so many other ones too.

The innocence of being a YOUNG fan is what I miss and the original context of the post was at what point is it lost forever?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

You know you don’t have to read about it right? And unfortunately, the reason writers write so much of this garbage is because it sells. Just look at the deadspin articles about ESPN and Tebow. they talk about it because so many people want to hear/watch/read it.

But now, just change the channel. Want your baseball news, read this website, baseball prospectus, fangraphs and Tango’s site. There are plenty of great team centric blogs out there that are both great at writing (which espn isn’t) and great at analysis (which espn also isn’t). For the NBA, read the TrueHoops stuff, for football read footballoutsiders.com. For hockey, i’m at a loss, sorry…

But the point is there’s plenty of avenues out there to not read about the TMZ crap that follows professional sports. Leave it be and you’ll be a happier fan.

11. exibitsman - Dec 9, 2012 at 12:26 PM

I wish this guy just goes away with
    all his damn $$$ I am sick of this punks face. cheating for fame and glory. this punk is not in the same class as babe Ruth and DiMaggio and mantle.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. madtownthrowdown - Dec 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

It’s funny. You just are probably a guy who has a man crush on ARod. Sorry to talk badly about your your toy, it won’t happen again.

13. TIF - Dec 9, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Although he feels relief that his struggles last year may have been related to his injury, the reality is that by the time he returns in July, he will be thirty-eight years old and have had two hip surgeries in the past four years. It is fair to wonder whether his lack of production was attributable solely to his hip.

14. uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM

This injury/surgery could really have a devastating effect on the Yankees ability to get under the Luxury Tax Threshold for 2014. A-Rod only needs 13 HR’s to reach Mays HR total and collect the 1st $6MM milestone incentive. But now it looks like with him probably only going to give the Yankees about 60 games in 2013 he won’t reach that milestone until 2014. Since the Yankees payroll figure will be charged the entire $6MM in the year he reaches it. That’s probably $6MM less in “regular” payrolls for players they can spend now. And getting under that $189MM figured already figured to be very, very difficult with the $6MM milestone incentive kicking in now in 2014.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Dec 9, 2012 at 7:12 PM

Do those bonuses get factored into to AAV or based on the year? I honestly can’t remember.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM

The milestone incentive in this case gets charged to the Yankees in the year he reaches the milestone. So if A-Rod reaches the 660 HR milestone in 2014. That entire $6MM goes against the Yankees payroll number for 2014. So it’s A-Rods regular $27.5MM AAV per his 10 year $275MM contract plus $6MM.

15. AlabamaFanRollTide - Dec 9, 2012 at 11:31 PM

He’s done , face it.

16. drjld - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Sorry guys, but people with little, if any, medical knowledge evaluating this injury and its possible outcome falls short of a vote of confidence.

It is possible that there is more bad news to come, with accompanying poor perfor4mances, but there is a good chance that this surgery will remove an impediment to better performances than we have seen in a long time.

Evaluations of such injuries and surgical outcomes based on disliking or hating Rodriguez is poor form, and leaves one breathless at the lack of knowledge and simple fairness that any injured player, or any individual, deserves.

Why cannot we wait until we see him in July and beyond to judge relative success from this surgery? Not only must we wait to find out recovery and performances, but at least we can do so hopefully.

The most common injuries of the hip and groin region in athletes are muscle strain injuries. So, the diagnosis of a tear may have been delayed because doctors felt that Rodriguez probably had this injury and waited for it heal. Rodriguez may have under-reported the amount of pain he felt, too.

Since they have not announced what muscle in the hip was torn, it is difficult to make specific judgments of success and future performance.

However, such surgeries tend to be quite successful, especially with surgical experts. If he has a labral tear, recovery is more questionable. But, such a tear would allow for a lot of pain which would make performing well difficult. In some patients, even after six months, little or no muscle healing took place.

However, the confidence in recovery and rehabilitation by both Rodriguez, and especially his doctors, suggests the possibility that another muscle was torn, and for other muscles, success is much more likely.

At any rate I wish Mr. Rodriguez well and hope that his pain is reduced and that he can enjoy playing baseball again.

17. freeagentsignee - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Get well Alex!
    Get a deal Kevin, Yankees.
    Go Yankees!

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3374)