Dec 8, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez posted a .764 OPS in the second half of the 2012 season and went 3-for-27 (.120) in the playoffs. So it was sort of reassuring, confidence-wise, when he was diagnosed this month with a torn muscle in his left hip because he actually had something to blame for his struggles.
Here’s A-Rod, speaking about the injury this weekend with David Villavicencio of MLB.com:
“It was a crushing blow when we got to Vail, Colorado, and I talked to my doctors,” Rodriguez said. “It was obviously a big blow, but there is a very small part of me that is relieved that there is a tangible issue and we can adjust and get back to playing really good baseball. … We’ve been down this road before. We have a good plan and a good team in place. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
Rodriguez will go under the knife in mid-January and should be ready to rejoin the Yankees by July.
New York has made a one-year, $12 million offer to Kevin Youkilis to provide insurance at third base.
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 2
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 37
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)