Dec 8, 2012, 10:08 PM EST
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez posted a .764 OPS in the second half of the 2012 season and went 3-for-27 (.120) in the playoffs. So it was sort of reassuring, confidence-wise, when he was diagnosed this month with a torn muscle in his left hip because he actually had something to blame for his struggles.
Here’s A-Rod, speaking about the injury this weekend with David Villavicencio of MLB.com:
“It was a crushing blow when we got to Vail, Colorado, and I talked to my doctors,” Rodriguez said. “It was obviously a big blow, but there is a very small part of me that is relieved that there is a tangible issue and we can adjust and get back to playing really good baseball. … We’ve been down this road before. We have a good plan and a good team in place. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
Rodriguez will go under the knife in mid-January and should be ready to rejoin the Yankees by July.
New York has made a one-year, $12 million offer to Kevin Youkilis to provide insurance at third base.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (280)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)