Dec 8, 2012, 10:08 PM EDT
Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez posted a .764 OPS in the second half of the 2012 season and went 3-for-27 (.120) in the playoffs. So it was sort of reassuring, confidence-wise, when he was diagnosed this month with a torn muscle in his left hip because he actually had something to blame for his struggles.
Here’s A-Rod, speaking about the injury this weekend with David Villavicencio of MLB.com:
“It was a crushing blow when we got to Vail, Colorado, and I talked to my doctors,” Rodriguez said. “It was obviously a big blow, but there is a very small part of me that is relieved that there is a tangible issue and we can adjust and get back to playing really good baseball. … We’ve been down this road before. We have a good plan and a good team in place. I’m looking forward to the challenge.”
Rodriguez will go under the knife in mid-January and should be ready to rejoin the Yankees by July.
New York has made a one-year, $12 million offer to Kevin Youkilis to provide insurance at third base.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)