Dec 8, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Rodriguez said this morning that he will have the surgery in “mid-January.” A-Rod made the comment at a breakfast he hosted for about 150 high school players who are competing in his annual Miami tournament. The question was actually asked by one of the players. The reason for the delay is that Rodriguez is trying to build up strength in the area prior to going under the knife.
It’s expected that Rodriguez will need 4-6 months of recovery time following surgery, so he could be out until at least June. And given that he’s 37 years old, it’s possible the rehab process could take longer. The Yankees have reportedly made a one-year, $12 million offer to free agent Kevin Youkilis in their efforts to land a stopgap option for third base.
Rodriguez is owed $114 million over the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 4
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 36
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 52
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires