Dec 8, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Rodriguez said this morning that he will have the surgery in “mid-January.” A-Rod made the comment at a breakfast he hosted for about 150 high school players who are competing in his annual Miami tournament. The question was actually asked by one of the players. The reason for the delay is that Rodriguez is trying to build up strength in the area prior to going under the knife.
It’s expected that Rodriguez will need 4-6 months of recovery time following surgery, so he could be out until at least June. And given that he’s 37 years old, it’s possible the rehab process could take longer. The Yankees have reportedly made a one-year, $12 million offer to free agent Kevin Youkilis in their efforts to land a stopgap option for third base.
Rodriguez is owed $114 million over the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 14
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17