Dec 8, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Rodriguez said this morning that he will have the surgery in “mid-January.” A-Rod made the comment at a breakfast he hosted for about 150 high school players who are competing in his annual Miami tournament. The question was actually asked by one of the players. The reason for the delay is that Rodriguez is trying to build up strength in the area prior to going under the knife.
It’s expected that Rodriguez will need 4-6 months of recovery time following surgery, so he could be out until at least June. And given that he’s 37 years old, it’s possible the rehab process could take longer. The Yankees have reportedly made a one-year, $12 million offer to free agent Kevin Youkilis in their efforts to land a stopgap option for third base.
Rodriguez is owed $114 million over the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.
- Umpires use replay on controversial Matt Joyce home run 0
- Rangers put Ian Kinsler on the 15-day disabled list and call up top prospect Jurickson Profar 1
- Carlos Ruiz leaves game with strained right hamstring 1
- Andrew McCutchen scratched from Pirates’ starting lineup 5
- Ike Davis assured by Mets GM demotion is not imminent 9