Dec 8, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Rodriguez said this morning that he will have the surgery in “mid-January.” A-Rod made the comment at a breakfast he hosted for about 150 high school players who are competing in his annual Miami tournament. The question was actually asked by one of the players. The reason for the delay is that Rodriguez is trying to build up strength in the area prior to going under the knife.
It’s expected that Rodriguez will need 4-6 months of recovery time following surgery, so he could be out until at least June. And given that he’s 37 years old, it’s possible the rehab process could take longer. The Yankees have reportedly made a one-year, $12 million offer to free agent Kevin Youkilis in their efforts to land a stopgap option for third base.
Rodriguez is owed $114 million over the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)