Dec 8, 2012, 1:25 PM EDT
According to the Associated Press, Rodriguez said this morning that he will have the surgery in “mid-January.” A-Rod made the comment at a breakfast he hosted for about 150 high school players who are competing in his annual Miami tournament. The question was actually asked by one of the players. The reason for the delay is that Rodriguez is trying to build up strength in the area prior to going under the knife.
It’s expected that Rodriguez will need 4-6 months of recovery time following surgery, so he could be out until at least June. And given that he’s 37 years old, it’s possible the rehab process could take longer. The Yankees have reportedly made a one-year, $12 million offer to free agent Kevin Youkilis in their efforts to land a stopgap option for third base.
Rodriguez is owed $114 million over the next five seasons, including $28 million for 2013.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)