Dec 8, 2012, 8:24 PM EDT
The deal will cover the next six years and carry a total value of $145 million if it indeed goes through.
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported on Thursday that Dodgers officials were “starting to seem slightly discouraged” because of a strong push by Texas’ front office and Greinke’s positive reaction to their sales pitch. But Heyman is now acknowledging that the script has been flipped and that it’s the Rangers who suddenly have a bad feeling about the course of the negotiations.
Greinke registered a 3.48 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and 200/54 K/BB ratio across 212 1/3 innings this past summer between the Brewers and Angels. The 29-year-old right-hander was at one point said to be seeking a seven-year contract worth more than $160 million, and it seems he’s going to come pretty close.
UPDATE, 8:26 PM: The Rangers “have been told” that Greinke is not signing with them, according to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan. Which means that an announcement from the Dodgers is likely imminent.
UPDATE, 8:57 PM: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that Greinke and the Dodgers are in agreement, and that the contract is only pending a physical. It’ll wind up as a six-year, $147 million pact, which represents the highest annual average committed to a pitcher in the history of Major League Baseball.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)