Dec 8, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: Schwimer’s agent, Jeff Borris, tells Salisbury that no grievance has been filed against the Phillies. However, he did ask the MLBPA to investigate the matter. It’s still possible a grievance could be filed.
“I believed Michael could have been sent down while he was hurt so I turned the matter over to the union to investigate whether a potential grievance was there,” agent Jeff Borris said. “I haven’t heard anything since.”
Bob Lenaghan, assistant general counsel for the MLBPA, says the investigation is ongoing.
8:38 PM: Some of you may remember that there was a little bit of drama between the Phillies and right-hander Michael Schwimer earlier this summer after he claimed that he should have been placed on the disabled list with elbow soreness rather than sent to the minors. He eventually reported to Triple-A Lehigh Valley and finished the season there, but the issue isn’t completely in the rear-view mirror.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the MLBPA has filed a grievance against the Phillies on behalf of Schwimer. Assuming it is successful, Schwimer could potentially be compensated for what he would have earned had he been on the disabled list.
Schwimer, who turns 27 in February, posted a 4.46 ERA and 36/16 K/BB ratio over 34 1/3 innings this past season. He is healthy now and remains on the Phillies’ 40-man roster.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)