Dec 8, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
UPDATE: Schwimer’s agent, Jeff Borris, tells Salisbury that no grievance has been filed against the Phillies. However, he did ask the MLBPA to investigate the matter. It’s still possible a grievance could be filed.
“I believed Michael could have been sent down while he was hurt so I turned the matter over to the union to investigate whether a potential grievance was there,” agent Jeff Borris said. “I haven’t heard anything since.”
Bob Lenaghan, assistant general counsel for the MLBPA, says the investigation is ongoing.
8:38 PM: Some of you may remember that there was a little bit of drama between the Phillies and right-hander Michael Schwimer earlier this summer after he claimed that he should have been placed on the disabled list with elbow soreness rather than sent to the minors. He eventually reported to Triple-A Lehigh Valley and finished the season there, but the issue isn’t completely in the rear-view mirror.
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, the MLBPA has filed a grievance against the Phillies on behalf of Schwimer. Assuming it is successful, Schwimer could potentially be compensated for what he would have earned had he been on the disabled list.
Schwimer, who turns 27 in February, posted a 4.46 ERA and 36/16 K/BB ratio over 34 1/3 innings this past season. He is healthy now and remains on the Phillies’ 40-man roster.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)