Dec 8, 2012, 8:57 AM EDT
The Dodgers bid $25.7 million last month for exclusive negotiating rights on South Korean left-hander Ryu Hyun-Jin. Now they have a little more than 24 hours to get a deal done.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM was told by a Dodgers source that they expect negotiations will go right up until the 5 p.m. deadline tomorrow. Of course, that’s not really unusual for a situation like this, so that doesn’t mean that a deal is in jeopardy.
The last we heard on Tuesday, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said that his offer to Hyun-Jin fell “a tad short.” Hyun-Jin’s agent, Scott Boras, then acknowledged that he had made a counter-offer and that negotiations were ongoing.
Hyun-Jin turns 26 in March and owns a 2.80 ERA over seven seasons in the Korean Baseball Organization. Per Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Boras said earlier this week that the southpaw is ready to step in as a No. 3 starter immediately and needs to be paid “within the standards of what other No. 3’s are getting.” It’s fair to guess that may put him in the range of Jeremy Guthrie‘s recent three-year, $25 million deal with the Royals.
If a deal isn’t worked out, Hyun-Jin will return to his team in the KBO while the Dodgers will not be responsible for the posting fee.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (260)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)