Dec 8, 2012, 8:57 AM EST
The Dodgers bid $25.7 million last month for exclusive negotiating rights on South Korean left-hander Ryu Hyun-Jin. Now they have a little more than 24 hours to get a deal done.
Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM was told by a Dodgers source that they expect negotiations will go right up until the 5 p.m. deadline tomorrow. Of course, that’s not really unusual for a situation like this, so that doesn’t mean that a deal is in jeopardy.
The last we heard on Tuesday, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said that his offer to Hyun-Jin fell “a tad short.” Hyun-Jin’s agent, Scott Boras, then acknowledged that he had made a counter-offer and that negotiations were ongoing.
Hyun-Jin turns 26 in March and owns a 2.80 ERA over seven seasons in the Korean Baseball Organization. Per Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register, Boras said earlier this week that the southpaw is ready to step in as a No. 3 starter immediately and needs to be paid “within the standards of what other No. 3’s are getting.” It’s fair to guess that may put him in the range of Jeremy Guthrie‘s recent three-year, $25 million deal with the Royals.
If a deal isn’t worked out, Hyun-Jin will return to his team in the KBO while the Dodgers will not be responsible for the posting fee.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)