Pedro Martinez: “I did it clean and my integrity is right where it belongs”

Dec 8, 2012, 9:55 AM EST

Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Pedro Martinez was in attendance for David Ortiz‘s celebrity golf fundraiser in the Dominican Republic yesterday and he had some interesting things to say about the steroids era and his own legacy.

What Martinez did during his career was impressive enough without context, but many have wondered what his numbers would have looked like if everyone was on an even playing field. Martinez wonders the same thing, but told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he has no regrets.

“I never had a complaint. I don’t have it. I think I did it the best way possible,” he said on Friday. “What would have happened if I had a level playing field? It’s something to be guessed. This is the same body that you saw, except for a couple of more pounds.”

With a hotly-contested Hall of Fame vote just weeks away, Martinez offered no firm opinion on the candidacies of Roger Clemens or Barry Bonds, but noted that they had impressive statistics before “everything exploded.”

“It’s really difficult for me to choose either one. I would have loved to face Roger Clemens when he was Roger Clemens with nothing. I would have loved to face him all the time.

There has never been any evidence to suggest that Martinez used performance-enhancing drugs during his playing career, so he should be a no-brainer, first-ballot Hall of Famer when he’s first eligible two years from now. But he still made it a point to say that he was clean and played the game the right way.

“I was clean. I know I was clean. That’s all I can say. I was out there and they got the best out of me. Beat me or not, that was the best I had, and clean. I wish it were the same way for every one of them.”

“In my last years with the Mets, I was pushed too far. I was going too far with the pain. I did it naturally, I rehabbed naturally. I went through struggles a lot naturally. Today I can actually sit back, relax and enjoy the flight because I did it clean and my integrity is right where it belongs.”

I don’t mean to single out Martinez here and I’d like to think that he was clean since he was one of my favorite players ever, but it would have been nice to see some of these guys speak out while they were still playing. Perhaps we’d have less irresponsible guesswork being done by columnists who have these player’s legacies in their hands.

Latest Posts
  1. The Cardinals are boring

Mar 5, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Lackey yawn AP

Just ask them. They’ll tell you so.

2. Orioles negotiating buyout with Suk-min Yoon one year into $5.75 million deal

Mar 5, 2015, 1:13 PM EST

suk-min yoon korea getty Getty Images

He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.

3. The Josh Hamilton decision could come as early as next week

Mar 5, 2015, 11:39 AM EST

Josh Hamilton Josh Hamilton

The union and the league are butting heads, but the deadlock should soon be broken.

4. It’s like the New York Post isn’t even trying anymore

Mar 5, 2015, 7:53 AM EST

Alex Rodriguez AP

I guess it’s spring training for tabloid headline writers too.

5. Angels, Huston Street expected to exchange offers soon

Mar 4, 2015, 11:59 PM EST

huston street getty Getty Images

MLB.com’s Alden Gonzalez has an update on the ongoing extension negotiations between Angels general manager Jerry Dipoto and veteran closer Huston Street …

6. Ji-Man Choi suffered a fractured right fibula

Mar 4, 2015, 11:13 PM EST

ji-man choi getty Getty Images

The Mariners won their Cactus League opener Wednesday against the Padres, but it was not a totally problem-free afternoon in Peoria, Arizona.

7. Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene

Mar 4, 2015, 10:26 PM EST

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

Suspending Hamilton for a year would serve no purpose punitive systems are designed to serve. And would most likely not serve Josh Hamilton at all.

8. Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play

Mar 4, 2015, 9:52 PM EST

josh hamilton angels getty Getty Images

A four-person panel appointed by Major League Baseball to decide how Josh Hamilton should be handled following his recent relapse that involved at least cocaine has reportedly reached a stalemate.

9. Rays sign reliever Jim Miller to minor league deal

Mar 4, 2015, 9:04 PM EST

jim miller getty Getty Images

The deal includes an invitation to the major league side of spring training, though Miller seems doubtful to win a spot on Tampa Bay’s Opening Day roster.

10. Tim Collins leaves spring debut with tight left elbow

Mar 4, 2015, 8:21 PM EST

tim collins getty Getty Images

Royals reliever Tim Collins missed time last season with a flexor strain in his left elbow and again had an issue with the joint Wednesday in his 2015 Cactus League debut …

11. Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut

Mar 4, 2015, 7:17 PM EST

joc pederson getty Getty Images

It was an enjoyable first day of Cactus League competition for Dodgers prospect Joc Pederson.

12. Masahiro Tanaka expected to make his 2015 Grapefruit League debut on March 12

Mar 4, 2015, 6:22 PM EST

tanaka getty Getty Images

He successfully rehabbed a torn UCL in his right elbow last season and the Yankees’ fingers remain crossed that the 26-year-old from Japan will be able to avoid Tommy John elbow reconstructive surgery.

13. Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments

Mar 4, 2015, 4:18 PM EST

Billy Bean

While it’s clear that the two do not see eye to eye, Billy Bean is choosing to look on the bright side of yesterday’s comments from Daniel Murphy.

1. M. Upton (2562)