Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
The future of R.A. Dickey was a popular topic at this week’s Winter Meetings in Nashville, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll be pitching in Queens again next season.
Marc Carig of New York Newsday was told by a person familiar with the situation that there is a “growing sense” that the Mets will pass on trade offers because they feel they aren’t good enough to trade the 2012 Cy Young Award winner. The Rangers, Blue Jays and Royals are believed to be the most interested suitors, but the Mets haven’t found a deal to their liking yet. There should be more clarity on the situation once Zack Greinke makes a decision on where to sign.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said following David Wright‘s press conference earlier this week that Dickey could remain with the Mets in 2013 without an extension and Carig was told that there’s “no guarantee” that a new deal will be worked out. It’s in Dickey’s best interests to get an extension done now while it’s unlikely his trade value will ever be higher, so that’s obviously not an ideal scenario for either side.
Dickey, 38, owns a 2.95 ERA over three seasons with the Mets. It’s believed that he’s looking for a two-year extension in the range of $25 million.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)