Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
The future of R.A. Dickey was a popular topic at this week’s Winter Meetings in Nashville, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll be pitching in Queens again next season.
Marc Carig of New York Newsday was told by a person familiar with the situation that there is a “growing sense” that the Mets will pass on trade offers because they feel they aren’t good enough to trade the 2012 Cy Young Award winner. The Rangers, Blue Jays and Royals are believed to be the most interested suitors, but the Mets haven’t found a deal to their liking yet. There should be more clarity on the situation once Zack Greinke makes a decision on where to sign.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said following David Wright‘s press conference earlier this week that Dickey could remain with the Mets in 2013 without an extension and Carig was told that there’s “no guarantee” that a new deal will be worked out. It’s in Dickey’s best interests to get an extension done now while it’s unlikely his trade value will ever be higher, so that’s obviously not an ideal scenario for either side.
Dickey, 38, owns a 2.95 ERA over three seasons with the Mets. It’s believed that he’s looking for a two-year extension in the range of $25 million.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 20
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights