Dec 8, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
The future of R.A. Dickey was a popular topic at this week’s Winter Meetings in Nashville, but it’s increasingly likely that he’ll be pitching in Queens again next season.
Marc Carig of New York Newsday was told by a person familiar with the situation that there is a “growing sense” that the Mets will pass on trade offers because they feel they aren’t good enough to trade the 2012 Cy Young Award winner. The Rangers, Blue Jays and Royals are believed to be the most interested suitors, but the Mets haven’t found a deal to their liking yet. There should be more clarity on the situation once Zack Greinke makes a decision on where to sign.
Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said following David Wright‘s press conference earlier this week that Dickey could remain with the Mets in 2013 without an extension and Carig was told that there’s “no guarantee” that a new deal will be worked out. It’s in Dickey’s best interests to get an extension done now while it’s unlikely his trade value will ever be higher, so that’s obviously not an ideal scenario for either side.
Dickey, 38, owns a 2.95 ERA over three seasons with the Mets. It’s believed that he’s looking for a two-year extension in the range of $25 million.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)