Dec 9, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
For all of the bluster, there was never really any doubt this would get done: the Dodgers signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu just before the Sunday afternoon deadline.
CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman reports that it’s a six-year, $36 million contract that includes an opt out after five years if Ryu tops a certain number of innings.
The Dodgers bid $25.7 million for Ryu’s rights last month after he was posted by his team in Korea. He went 9-9 with a 2.66 ERA and 210 strikeouts in 182 2/3 innings for Hanwha last season.
The 25-year-old Ryu can’t necessarily be penciled into a rotation that’s set to include Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke and Josh Beckett, with Chad Billingsley and Ted Lilly coming back from injuries. The team also has Chris Capuano and Aaron Harang available as starters, but with a payroll set to come in around $250 million, those guys are expendable.
Ryu could open the year in the pen and then move into the rotation later, or it’s possible he’ll be needed right away if either Billingsley or Lilly requires additional rehab time. Given that Ryu hasn’t thrown 200 innings in a season since 2007, it might be for the best if he spends the first month or so working in relief.
Here’s some Korean footage of Ryu striking out 13 batters in a game:
Nov 28, 2014, 11:30 PM EST
The Josh Donaldson trade puzzled his now ex-teammate Josh Reddick.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:34 PM EST
The A’s cleared some space on their roster following the Josh Donaldson trade by designating Kyle Blanks and Josh Lindblom for assignment.
Nov 28, 2014, 9:57 PM EST
Brett Lawrie and a couple of minor leaguers are headed to the Athletics in exchange for Josh Donaldson.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:44 PM EST
The Athletics are reportedly close to getting three or four players back in a trade involving starter Jeff Samardzija.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
Marlins pitcher Aaron Crow, recently acquired from the Royals, could get a shot in the starting rotation.
Nov 28, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Ross Detwiler had a frustrating 2014 season with the Nationals. It sounds like he wants a change of scenery, if possible.
Nov 28, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
The White Sox signed speedster Tony Campana to a minor league deal.
Nov 28, 2014, 4:42 PM EST
It’s one and done in the booth for the old lefty.
Nov 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
That is, if he makes the rotation.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:23 PM EST
Crow made the All-Star team as a rookie in 2011.
Nov 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EST
And he’d like you to tell him who’s a better option.
Nov 28, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
He’s reportedly uninjured, though details are scarce at the moment.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:47 AM EST
Barring some trades he’ll fill a middle relief role for the bullpen-rich Royals in 2015.
Nov 28, 2014, 10:15 AM EST
“Their interest in the lefty appears as much opportunistic as enthusiastic.”
Nov 28, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
It’s an artificial turf thing.
Nov 28, 2014, 8:15 AM EST
Won’t somebody think of A.J. Hinch’s children?
Nov 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EST
The AL Central seems to be particularly fond of free agent pitcher Justin Masterson.
Nov 27, 2014, 8:15 PM EST
The Padres have three worthy catchers and all of them are drawing trade interest.
Nov 27, 2014, 7:10 PM EST
Billy Butler, now with the Athletics, thanked Royals fans for an “amazing ride” in Kansas City.
Nov 27, 2014, 6:05 PM EST
A couple more options have appeared on the Marlins’ radar for an upgrade at first base.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)