Dec 9, 2012, 7:56 PM EST
MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli says it’s a one-year deal worth $6 million that can reach $7.5 million with incentives.
CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman first reported the two sides were close to a deal.
Reynolds moved from third base to first last season and hit .221/.335/.429 with 23 homers and 69 RBI for the Orioles. He had his best season with the Diamondbacks in 2009, hitting .260/.349/.543 with 44 homers and 102 RBI. That was also the year he set a major league record by striking out 223 times.
The Indians were pursuing Kevin Youkilis over Reynolds, but either they grew tired of waiting on Youk or they think they can find room for both between first, third and the DH spot. While Reynolds is more valuable at first than third, Youkilis is still a capable third baseman. Youkilis is also being pursued by the Yankees.
Update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal thinks this takes the Indians out of the mix for Youkilis. He has the Yankees, Mariners, Dodgers and maybe others in on Youkilis.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)