Dec 9, 2012, 7:56 PM EDT
MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli says it’s a one-year deal worth $6 million that can reach $7.5 million with incentives.
CBSSports.com’s Jon Heyman first reported the two sides were close to a deal.
Reynolds moved from third base to first last season and hit .221/.335/.429 with 23 homers and 69 RBI for the Orioles. He had his best season with the Diamondbacks in 2009, hitting .260/.349/.543 with 44 homers and 102 RBI. That was also the year he set a major league record by striking out 223 times.
The Indians were pursuing Kevin Youkilis over Reynolds, but either they grew tired of waiting on Youk or they think they can find room for both between first, third and the DH spot. While Reynolds is more valuable at first than third, Youkilis is still a capable third baseman. Youkilis is also being pursued by the Yankees.
Update: FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal thinks this takes the Indians out of the mix for Youkilis. He has the Yankees, Mariners, Dodgers and maybe others in on Youkilis.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)