Dec 9, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis is thought to be deciding between a one-year, $12 million offer from the Yankees and a two-year, $18 million proposal from the Indians. If he goes with New York, Cleveland has a backup plan.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Indians would likely turn to Mark Reynolds, who is capable of playing third base or first base. He should come cheaper than Youkilis, and it’s quite possible that he will be just as productive at the plate next summer.
Reynolds, 29, batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 home runs and 69 RBI in 135 games this past season for the Orioles.
Youkilis, 33, hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI in 122 games between Boston and Chicago.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)