Dec 9, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis is thought to be deciding between a one-year, $12 million offer from the Yankees and a two-year, $18 million proposal from the Indians. If he goes with New York, Cleveland has a backup plan.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Indians would likely turn to Mark Reynolds, who is capable of playing third base or first base. He should come cheaper than Youkilis, and it’s quite possible that he will be just as productive at the plate next summer.
Reynolds, 29, batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 home runs and 69 RBI in 135 games this past season for the Orioles.
Youkilis, 33, hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI in 122 games between Boston and Chicago.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 2
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 61
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)