Dec 9, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis is thought to be deciding between a one-year, $12 million offer from the Yankees and a two-year, $18 million proposal from the Indians. If he goes with New York, Cleveland has a backup plan.
FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Indians would likely turn to Mark Reynolds, who is capable of playing third base or first base. He should come cheaper than Youkilis, and it’s quite possible that he will be just as productive at the plate next summer.
Reynolds, 29, batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 home runs and 69 RBI in 135 games this past season for the Orioles.
Youkilis, 33, hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI in 122 games between Boston and Chicago.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (100)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)