Tribe may try Mark Reynolds if they can’t get Kevin Youkilis

Dec 9, 2012, 2:46 PM EDT

mark reynolds getty Getty Images

Kevin Youkilis is thought to be deciding between a one-year, $12 million offer from the Yankees and a two-year, $18 million proposal from the Indians. If he goes with New York, Cleveland has a backup plan.

FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal reports that the Indians would likely turn to Mark Reynolds, who is capable of playing third base or first base. He should come cheaper than Youkilis, and it’s quite possible that he will be just as productive at the plate next summer.

Reynolds, 29, batted .221/.335/.429 with 23 home runs and 69 RBI in 135 games this past season for the Orioles.

Youkilis, 33, hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI in 122 games between Boston and Chicago.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Let’s not forget those pesky little strike outs in Reynolds numbers. Nearly 35% of his AB’s ended in K’s in 2012 and that was a good year for him.

2. garryfish - Dec 9, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Don’t the Yankees have the same plan???

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Could be. But I think the Yankees would prefer Youkilis since he’s primarily a 3rd baseman and he fits their need better. Plus it scares me to death to think of Granderson and his propensity to strikeout and Reynolds in the same line up. I can’t even begin to imagine Reynolds following Granderson in the order or the other way around.

• pisano - Dec 9, 2012 at 4:39 PM

uyf1950…. It would be a scary thought having those two back to back, but what’s your feeling on the Yankees moving Granderson before the season starts? I have a feeling Cashman’s working on something big and I’m hoping Granderson’s involved, and a real long shot that they move Cano also, what’s your take.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 4:47 PM

My friend, I can definitely see it happening. There is no way to re-sign him and Cano at the end of the season and the Yankees still stay under the Luxury tax Threshold for 2014. So one or the other or both are going to have to go before the 2014 season starts. It makes no sense to wait until after the season in Granderson case and only make him a qualifying offer and just get a draft pick. The Yankees will get the most if they trade him before the season starts OR at the trade deadline. Cano becomes an issure for the Yankees because I can see them giving to to Cano’s/Boras’s demand for 8 or more years and $200MM plus contract. So unless they can resolve that issue they may look to trade him as well at some point this season for a boat load of players/prospects. Needless to say that’s “just my opinion”, my friend.

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 4:48 PM

correction: “issue”

• uyf1950 - Dec 9, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Sorry about that. Let’s try that last part about Cano again:

Cano becomes an issue for the Yankees because I can’t see them giving in to Cano’s/Boras’s demand for 8 or more years and $200MM plus contract. So unless they can resolve that issue they may look to trade him as well at some point this season for a boat load of players/prospects. Needless to say that’s “just my opinion”, my friend.

3. jmgatskiejr - Dec 9, 2012 at 5:15 PM

Reynolds is the infield version of former Brewer OF Rob Deer and I actually take some comfort in that. They ate what they are and that makes him low maintenance, predictable and easy to manage. You will never hit and run with him at the plate and Francona will know when to pinch hit for him late. The question that comes with signing him after drafting Mcguiness and claiming McDade with Canzler and even Anderson coming to camp is will his power be enough to outweigh his defensive shortcomings and make him a better overall idea than one of the kids.
    The Indians definitely need improved firepower but the Dolans pick the worst years to open the checkbook. Victorino wasn’t worth 44 million and Swisher isn’t worth 60. Both Kubel and Willingham were worth more than either of those two. The starters on the market can be summed up by,the amount of interest FormerlyFausto is generating. It’s a weak crop all the way around.

4. psuravens19 - Dec 9, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Just as long as he doesn’t end up in an Orioles uniform…

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet