Dodgers putting $100 million into stadium renovations this winter

Dec 10, 2012, 9:30 PM EST

The Dodgers aren’t just putting insane amounts of money into their on-field product. They are also making some changes to Dodger Stadium.

According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers part-owner Magic Johnson said during Hyun-Jin Ryu‘s press conference this afternoon that the team is putting $100 million into stadium renovations this winter. And they are already hard at work.

Courtesy of Eric Stephen of the excellent True Blue LA, below is a look at some construction on the third base side. You can see more of Stephen’s shots here.

source:

Wow. Dodgers president Stan Kasten said back in October that they were planning to renovate both clubhouses and the Dodgers’ indoor batting cage and add a batting cage for the visiting team. They also plan to improve the infrastructure of the stadium. Bigger changes are likely in store in the years ahead.

1. 13arod - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:38 PM

show offs they are just showing the world they can spend money when ever they want

• Jeff M. - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Yes, I’m sure they’re renovating the stadium just to impress you!

• 18thstreet - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Marge: Homer, are you wearing a tie to impress Laddie?
      Homer: Do you think he noticed?

• pinkfloydprism - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:58 AM

I do not understand why they do not trade for someone else’s stadium…

2. dondada10 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That link from two months ago just made me really miss baseball.

3. firstand98 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:50 PM

i am so fascinated by this seemingly bottomless pit of money, and how they are spending it. if i didn’t know better i would swear this is actually a reality TV show that will be shown during spring training. i am not a fan of the dodgers, but i AM a fan of slow-moving trainwrecks, and this has the look and feel of that.

4. natsattack - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:55 PM

The new Yankees!
    I really hope this does become a train-wreck, and that hope is named Ned Colletti.

5. jsally430 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:58 PM

referring back to an old south park episodes is magic going to use up all his cash to cure his HIV?

6. rcali - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:04 PM

This article should be titled “Dodger fans to be paying for $100 million for stadium renovations this winter.” Tickets, parking, concessions….all going up Dodger fans. Hope you enjoy the new urinals.

• 18thstreet - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It seems to me that revenue from their TV deals means that they already have the cash in hand. If I were the Dodgers, I’d keep ticket prices low to engender good will for a couple years. But I’m not an owner.

7. webbza - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

This is what happens when teams are expecting $6 billion tv deals

8. dawgpoundmember - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I get that the TV deal is going to be huge, but this team was bankrupt a year ago, and the TV deal hasn’t kicked in yet, where did they get all the millions they have right now?

• Reflex - Dec 10, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Different owners. The previous owners were heavily leveraged in real estate, which collapsed a few years back. The new owners are extremely wealthy and seem to believe that building a better product pays for itself over time.

While I’m no fan of the Dodgers, and I question some of the deals they are handing out, at the end of the day I’ll take owners who put their money into the on-field product(and the field itself!) over owners who sit back and pocket the profits year after year. I do not really understand people complaining about player salaries, the alternative is richer owners. At least this group seems to understand what the Steinbrenner’s learned a decade and a half ago: Build a tradition of winning and the fans will come.

9. 13arod - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:27 PM

they have alot of rich guys that is were they get there money

10. dwrek5 - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:30 PM

$100 mil there, $100 mil over there…. Perfect!

11. crankyfrankie - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Hell another non Dodger fan but impressed that they are improving their own ballpark and not asking taxpayers to foot the bill. That alone is worth major props. With the new ownership they are paying the owners millions of dollars to do nothing. Glad they are not in my division.

• paperlions - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:16 AM

Completely agree. The fact is that every owner can afford to build his own park or pay for renovations….they just figure why should I pay for it if I can leverage the local iditos (not a misspelling) to use tax dollars to pay for it.

Kudos to the Dodgers new owners for not even asking.

12. crankyfrankie - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

not paying themselves millions of dollars like the McCourts. damn edit key.

13. danielcp0303 - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Oh yeah, well the Astros are letting me take my own food into the ballpark. Granted it can only be in 1 clear zip lock bag, but we can’t be too picky.

• rmaldona - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:08 PM

You can bring in food into Dodger stadium just no alcohol.

14. lizm04 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

As a Dodger, I am a bit worried how they are spending thier cash (20mil plus for League?). But at the same time, i am so pumped that the Dodgers are spending cash to have a better product on the field. A slight increase in tix and food is not a big concern to most, guess I just stop by Rallys before the game and have my fill there. I hated when the Yankees did this but now that LA is doing it…. HELL YA BABY!!! Like they say in Vegas, “Scared money makes no money!!!”

15. mrfloydpink - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Now let’s hope they saved, say, $100 to put into security.

• paperlions - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:18 AM

A hundred bucks doesn’t buy a lot of security these days, does it?

16. mgflolox - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Magic Johnson’s nobody’s fool. He’s built an enormously successful business empire by always wanting to be the best. The same competitiveness that drove his basketball career is what drives his business career. I sure as hell wouldn’t bet against him.

• mrchainbluelightning - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:30 AM

You must have missed “The Magic Hour”
      What a wreck

• rmaldona - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:10 PM

LOL.

• MyTeamsAllStink - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Not true.The one where he had Howard Stern on was epic TV

17. fanofevilempire - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:30 AM

hey, not everyone models their franchise like the Pirates, Florida, Cleveland………

I think it’s drug money……………………………..

hehehehehehehehehehehehhe

18. fuddpucker - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Maybe that TV money is just dying to be spent but to me it really looks like these folks are out of control. I mean, can they really spend hundreds of millions of dollars in one day or week, more than what most/many teams spend in a year?

And whatever happened to that Zack Greinke anxiety thing? There’s no way for Zack to “dodge” the intense media in L.A. Aren’t they setting him up for failure?

• Alex K - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Can everyone please stop with the Zack Greinke anxiety issues stuff? No one here knows anything about his mental health.

Zack seems to think he’ll be fine pitching in LA. I’m going to take his word for it over a bunch of writers and commenters.

• 18thstreet - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don’t know anything about social anxiety disorder, but that doesn’t seem to be a prerequisite to talking about it. So here’s my two cents: it seems to me that a semi-famous person is MUCH better off moving to a place with hundreds of more-famous people than sticking around, say, Kansas City. Zack Greinke will be able to walk (er, drive) the streets of LA without anyone bothering him.

• Alex K - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I still don’t think we should really be talking about social anxiety and Greinke in that way, either. We have no clue what situations bring on the anxiety and how he deals with it. We also don’t know what type of treatment (if any) he is using for his issues. I get you were being general, but still.

It really gets under my skin when writers/commenters say something about someone they have either never met or interviewed in group settings mental health (ie. Greinke can’t do XY because of his anxiety issues). They are not Greinke or his doctor so they have no basis for their opinion other than hearsay. It’s really disrespectful to Greinke and pretty ignorant, too.

• paperlions - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:11 AM

They haven’t spend hundreds of millions of dollars already. They have committed to spend that money over the next several years….and they know starting in 2014, they will be getting hundreds of millions of dollars annually in TV revenue alone.

The one thing these guys are….is good business men. Yeah, they probably over-paid for the Dodgers and associated land, but they also realized that it was a unique opportunity…and therefore worth doing whatever they had to do to own that opportunity. From a business stand point, I am sure they will be making plenty of money (every MLB owner makes plenty of money off of his team, even if s/he won’t admit to it)….baseball success…now that is yet to be determined.

• flcounselor - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Comment fail.

Zack Greinke pitched in Los Angeles last ear. He pitched quite well, as a matter of fact.

19. manchestermiracle - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Last year (and the year before and the year before that, etc.): Dodgers suck. Dodger stadium is a dump. McCourt is ruining baseball. Blah blah blah.

This year: Dodgers are out of control. Throwing money around like they printed it. Guggenheim is ruining baseball. Blah blah blah

Pick a side, hypocrites, pick a side.

20. barroomhero80 - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Ladies ladies. Calm the fuck down it ain’t your money. It’s not taxpayer money. Relax. U trolls bitch to much. Worry about your own teams

21. kobeisking - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Let us not forget the new ownership holds over 100 billion dollars in real estate investments worldwide. I think they’ll be ok…

22. MyTeamsAllStink - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Bout time they renovated Dodger Stadium.I love,it and think its beautiful but it has long needed to be modified for today’s fan experience.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5925)