Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
As a Twins fan, this is pretty cool: Doug Mientkiewicz has been named the manager of Minnesota’s high Single-A affiliate in Fort Myers.
Mientkiewicz was drafted by the Twins out of Florida State in 1995 and started his pro career in Fort Myers, playing parts of two seasons there before going on to a 12-year career in the majors as a slick-fielding first baseman.
He retired following the 2009 season and was a hitting coach in the Dodgers’ farm system this year.
Mostly, though, this post is just an excuse for me to get a little more use out of my ability to type “Mientkiewicz” without looking. It took years of practice, trust me.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)