Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
As a Twins fan, this is pretty cool: Doug Mientkiewicz has been named the manager of Minnesota’s high Single-A affiliate in Fort Myers.
Mientkiewicz was drafted by the Twins out of Florida State in 1995 and started his pro career in Fort Myers, playing parts of two seasons there before going on to a 12-year career in the majors as a slick-fielding first baseman.
He retired following the 2009 season and was a hitting coach in the Dodgers’ farm system this year.
Mostly, though, this post is just an excuse for me to get a little more use out of my ability to type “Mientkiewicz” without looking. It took years of practice, trust me.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)