Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EST
As a Twins fan, this is pretty cool: Doug Mientkiewicz has been named the manager of Minnesota’s high Single-A affiliate in Fort Myers.
Mientkiewicz was drafted by the Twins out of Florida State in 1995 and started his pro career in Fort Myers, playing parts of two seasons there before going on to a 12-year career in the majors as a slick-fielding first baseman.
He retired following the 2009 season and was a hitting coach in the Dodgers’ farm system this year.
Mostly, though, this post is just an excuse for me to get a little more use out of my ability to type “Mientkiewicz” without looking. It took years of practice, trust me.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 24
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 51
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)