Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT
As a Twins fan, this is pretty cool: Doug Mientkiewicz has been named the manager of Minnesota’s high Single-A affiliate in Fort Myers.
Mientkiewicz was drafted by the Twins out of Florida State in 1995 and started his pro career in Fort Myers, playing parts of two seasons there before going on to a 12-year career in the majors as a slick-fielding first baseman.
He retired following the 2009 season and was a hitting coach in the Dodgers’ farm system this year.
Mostly, though, this post is just an excuse for me to get a little more use out of my ability to type “Mientkiewicz” without looking. It took years of practice, trust me.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 190
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)