Doug Mientkiewicz to manage Twins’ high Single-A team

Dec 10, 2012, 12:34 PM EDT

doug mientkiewicz twins

As a Twins fan, this is pretty cool: Doug Mientkiewicz has been named the manager of Minnesota’s high Single-A affiliate in Fort Myers.

Mientkiewicz was drafted by the Twins out of Florida State in 1995 and started his pro career in Fort Myers, playing parts of two seasons there before going on to a 12-year career in the majors as a slick-fielding first baseman.

He retired following the 2009 season and was a hitting coach in the Dodgers’ farm system this year.

1. jerlee7 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:00 PM

Return of the Superfox!

2. alexo0 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

So awesome. I miss Douggie. I learned how to spell Mientkiewicz through the “Get to know ‘em” radio ads.

• mntreehugger - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:31 PM

And that’s how you spell Mientkiewicz…good stuff

3. stabonerichard - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Dan Patrick: Your favorite Olympic moment from Sydney?
    Doug Mientkiewicz: Tom Lasorda peed on himself.
    DP: Details, please.
    DM: He was giving us this pep talk at our first meeting. When he stood up, he had this wet ring in the crotch of his uniform. No lie! I mean he’s trying to motivate us, telling us to shock the world.
    DP: Guess he was coaching by example.
    DM: Sure seemed to work.

4. b453841l - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Wait a second…if he’s managing a single A ball club, who is playing first base for the Red Sox?

5. mntreehugger - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Good news for us twins fan who still have a thing for Mrs. Mientkiewicz

• lisa0824 - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Some of us still have a thing for Mr. Mientkiewicz, too.

6. natsattack - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Anyone want to bet he will be an MLB manager within 10 years?

7. tjwilliams - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:24 PM

“Mostly, though, this post is just an excuse for me to get a little more use out of my ability to type “Mientkiewicz” without looking. It took years of practice, trust me.”

I’ll never forget the song. “M-I-E-N-T-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z. That’s how you spell Mientkiewicz. Mientkiewicz!”

8. thehypercritic - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:04 PM

At Florida State, the Animals of Section B would chant out his last name.

“Gimme an M! Gimme an I”…

And after they got their Z, “What’s that spell?”

“Doug! Doug!”