Dec 10, 2012, 5:17 PM EDT
This is obviously not baseball news. But it’s weird when some big news happens and, as you’re reading about it, you find some strange baseball connection you weren’t expecting. Just happened when I was reading a story about singer Jenni Rivera — who died in a plane crash last night — and encountered this passage:
Rivera’s plane was taking her and aides to the central Mexican city of Toluca after a Saturday night concert before thousands in the northern city of Monterrey. After the concert she gave a press conference during which she spoke of her emotional state following her recent move to divorce former Major League Baseball pitcher Esteban Loaiza, who played for teams including the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.
It has nothin’ to do with anything, but that stuff — some world I know nothing about touching on the one I do — always makes me stop for a minute. I bet most people who covered her had no idea who he really was. And people who covered Loaiza probably had no idea who she was.
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims