Dec 10, 2012, 5:17 PM EST
This is obviously not baseball news. But it’s weird when some big news happens and, as you’re reading about it, you find some strange baseball connection you weren’t expecting. Just happened when I was reading a story about singer Jenni Rivera — who died in a plane crash last night — and encountered this passage:
Rivera’s plane was taking her and aides to the central Mexican city of Toluca after a Saturday night concert before thousands in the northern city of Monterrey. After the concert she gave a press conference during which she spoke of her emotional state following her recent move to divorce former Major League Baseball pitcher Esteban Loaiza, who played for teams including the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.
It has nothin’ to do with anything, but that stuff — some world I know nothing about touching on the one I do — always makes me stop for a minute. I bet most people who covered her had no idea who he really was. And people who covered Loaiza probably had no idea who she was.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (95)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (84)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)