Esteban Loaiza’s wife, music star Jenni Rivera, dies in a plane crash

Dec 10, 2012, 5:17 PM EST

Esteban Loaiza

This is obviously not baseball news. But it’s weird when some big news happens and, as you’re reading about it, you find some strange baseball connection you weren’t expecting. Just happened when I was reading a story about singer Jenni Rivera — who died in a plane crash last night — and encountered this passage:

Rivera’s plane was taking her and aides to the central Mexican city of Toluca after a Saturday night concert before thousands in the northern city of Monterrey. After the concert she gave a press conference during which she spoke of her emotional state following her recent move to divorce former Major League Baseball pitcher Esteban Loaiza, who played for teams including the New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers.

It has nothin’ to do with anything, but that stuff — some world I know nothing about touching on the one I do — always makes me stop for a minute. I bet most people who covered her had no idea who he really was. And people who covered Loaiza probably had no idea who she was.

Oh well.

1. lew24 - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:23 PM

I didn’t know her but I was shocked when I read that same passage last night too.

No matter what…it is an extremely sad story for all of her friends, family and fans!

2. thebadguyswon - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:27 PM

Wow…didnt know that was his wife.

• cur68 - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Me neither. Whatever the reason for their divorce, I doubt this makes him any the happier.

3. sectualvanilla - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Sad story indeed but I must say that was the most poorly worded and choppy article I have read on here. Very poor writing skill. Please get better, seeing that it’s your job and all.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:47 PM

Really? The most poorly worded/choppy article you have read on HBT? Can’t be. No way.
      Don’t get me wrong…I
      I love busting Csquared’s balls any chance I get. But I don’t believe you.
      I mean that. I simply do not believe this is the most poorly worded and/or choppy HBT article you have ever read. Sounds like you are grasping for straws to throw some stones.

• husky2score - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:50 PM

C squared? For real man?

• sabatimus - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I don’t think I read the same article as you did.

• manchestermiracle - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Well, vanilla, all I can say is that this must have been the very first article you’ve ever read on this site. By the way, there was nothing at all wrong with it. Maybe it’s you, dude.

4. Kevin Gillman - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:38 PM

Let’s just say this, my prayer and condolences to the Jenni Rivera family, and to Esteban Loaiza.

5. yankeepunk3000 - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM

they were getting divroced because he slept with her daughter…that’s f,d up…she was a good person with a very crappy life a lot of tragic stuff…her life was a sad book and all she had was her music and now she’s gone…my sister was a huge fan of hers and we will miss her music

• fanofevilempire - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:24 PM

if he did, he’s a douche!!
      she is hot…..
      RIP…………….

6. castillo_ken - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:46 PM

They were going through a divorce because Esteban and her daughter had an affair.

• blackandbluedivision - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:36 PM

step-daughter.

7. genericcommenter - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Was he the guy in her sex tape?

8. monsterofyourgirlsmidway - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Can we get someone to proofread these horribly written articles? Who concludes an article about a tragic event with that last paragraph? (half of which was written well enough to comprehend) And then throws salt on an open wound by saying ‘oh well’? apathetic jerk. way to write about nothing and prove your inadequacy as a writer.

• bb54 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Why so hostile? I had no problem understanding this post. If a lot of people, like you, have problems understanding the meaning of some posts, maybe Craig should try to simplify his writing. If it would help, re-read the last paragraph again, this time leaving out the phrase between the dashes. You should then understand that Craig was not ‘pouring salt’ or being ‘apathetic’. For easier understanding, substitute ‘sigh’ for ‘oh well’.. If you truly want to understand what is written, you might consider a reading comprehension course. I am serious. Part of my old job was to write technical reports, and analyze and report on data. Even though I (we) were experienced, management would periodically send us to various training classes, including reading comprehension. And hey, give up the internet anger. If you were sitting across from Craig, you would not speak that way. You might say ‘Craig, sometimes it is not clear what you are trying to say. Maybe you can change a few things. But no hard feelings. Let me buy you a beer.’ The internet anger and nastiness is a societal problem; the internet is just the delivery system.

• monsterofyourgirlsmidway - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

” Part of my old job was to write technical reports, and analyze and report on data. Even though I (we) were experienced, management would periodically send us to various training classes, including reading comprehension.”

Ok and I just graduated from Yale and work as a rocket scientist for NASA. Stating your “qualifications” means nothing on the internet so it doesnt give you more credibility. I said he was apathetic b/c after saying “people covering loaiza didn’t even knew who she was”, he ends it with “oh well”. someone’s loved one just died, surely he could’ve ended with more sympathetic tone. Something perhaps “proofreading” could’ve caught. I’m sure someone as smart as yourself can understand my point. If not, I’ll be happy to “simplify” it for you.

• pauleee - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:19 PM

Look! Another username with a football reference in it.

In answer to your question, Craig was trying to tie in this seemingly unrelated event to the world of baseball. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be here and you would have had to read it in the regular news. Also, you might want to proofread your own post.

• monsterofyourgirlsmidway - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I never said I was a journalist. Proofreading a post on a blog is hardly comparable to a journalist submitting an article. It’s their profession to assure that there are no mistakes…. Now, I’m sure there’s not a lot to write about in the offseason which is why he’s trying to tie in this unrelated event. Just thought he did a poor job at doing so.

• bb54 - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

monster is a prefect example of why I rarely comment on the internet. Too many people don’t know what they don’t know and are quick to criticize others. I stand by my original statement: Craig was not ‘pouring salt’ or being ‘apathetic’. Your reading comprehension issues left you unable to understand the gist of Craig’s statement and since you didn’t like what you misunderstood Craig’s statement to mean, you lashed out. And contrary to your claim, there has been lots going on in baseball. And whether or not a lot is going on in baseball is not relevant to Craig’s post. Reading and understanding are not rocket science; hence the suggestion to improve your comprehension by taking a course. A final explanation: mentioning a prior job where reading comprehension was a critical part but I was still required to periodically attend refresher courses was to illustrate how someone can continue to improve. Kind of like great players continuing to strive to improve themselves. But if you are satisfied that you understood what Craig was saying, that’s fine for you.

• monsterofyourgirlsmidway - Dec 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM

And yet here you are again with another comment! Obviously, your ignorance won’t let you accept an opinion that’s contrary to your beliefs. You were stating your qualifications to provide credibility and to say otherwise is pathetic. Anyone who read what you wrote can see it. Have fun writing another 2 paragraph response to this, further proving how ignorant and pathetic you really are.

• bb54 - Dec 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

monsters fantasy: Define ‘your ignorance’. You admitted you did not understand part of what Craig wrote. It is clear you did not understand that which you thought you did. You ascribed very negative attributes to Craig, based on your ignorance. I usually avoid the dullest knife in the drawer. I apologize for picking on you. But seriously, lighten up.

9. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM

monsterofyourgirlsmidway and sectualvanilla = same person

• manchestermiracle - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And both still don’t equal one.

• sectualvanilla - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Haha I think his user name is great but sorry we are not the same person :( I just don’t agree with the style of writing “Csquared” chose to use for an article you must read. Certain things just don’t translate well in text. I do believe there was a much better way to present it and a good journalist would understand that. Lets all be honest, it’s the people commenting on the articles that make the NBC sports websites so entertaining. It offers many different points of view and I think they’re all great. Even if I’m the one getting flamed it’s still entertaining to see everyones opinion.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Dammit Chip! I hate it when I agree with you. Stop it.

10. deathmonkey41 - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:53 AM

If this artcle served one purpose, it was to remind me that Esteban Loaiza existed.

11. bigmeechy74 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Hey if I write “thoughts and prayers to the families” will you guys give me some thumbs up? Please?

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Hahaha! Meechy needs some love.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (3278)
  2. J. Kang (3108)
  3. C. McGehee (2824)
  4. W. Middlebrooks (2808)
  5. J. Upton (2803)