Great Moments in Reading the Tea Leaves: R.A. Dickey Edition

Dec 10, 2012, 2:21 PM EDT

R.A. Dickey is doing a nice thing tomorrow. He’s playing an elf to John Franco’s Santa in the Mets’ annual holiday party for schoolchildren. Adam Rubin notes that this year’s party will bring in students from Far Rockaway who have been affected by Hurricane Sandy.

Ian O’Connor thinks it means something:

Or, quite possibly, it’s just a nice gesture from a man who has shown many past philanthropic impulses and a team that is admirably separating its baseball operations from its community operations.

Not saying Dickey doesn’t stay in New York, but I’m thinking an actual news report to that effect as opposed to who is wearing an elf suit when is a little more authoritative.

1. historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

No, no, I think they should make them dress up like elves for the press conferences when they (re)sign them. So much more interesting than the team jersey. And, maybe, Will Farrell could jump out and tackle them for an action shot at some point too. And, Selig could be Smug Santa….got a little carried away there, sorry.

• Old Gator - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:22 PM

Franco! You pissed yourself again!

2. jwbiii - Dec 10, 2012 at 2:44 PM

But will Anna Benson be there?

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Is that link safe to click?

• albertmn - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Not if the picture is from the last few years. Have you seen her lately? Waaaaay past her prime.

• fanofevilempire - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:36 PM

nice………..

3. shaggylocks - Dec 10, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Seriously, though, WHAT MAN DRESSES UP AS AN ELF FOR A COMPANY HE NO LONGER PLANS ON WORKING FOR?!?!? I mean, it’s a valid question. I only dress up as an elf for my current boss. No one else.

• nategearhart - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM

He’s not dressing up for the Mets. He’s dressing up for kids.

• shaggylocks - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Yeah, thanks. I’m being sarcastic because it’s an absurd observation to begin with.

• nategearhart - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:00 PM

I missed the sarcasm. My bad.

• mattyflex - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

My bosses dress up for me.

4. kkolchak - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Um…last I checked Dickey isn’t a free agent, so as far as he knows right now he’s pitching for the Mets in 2013, contract extension or no contract extension.

5. mj1818 - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:15 PM

This is a great gesture, although its for the Mets it’s not really baseball related and he gets that. There is something bigger than baseball and sets a good example for other players to follow in his footsteps

6. Gobias Industries - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ian O’Connor: On the Rangers naming Alex Rodriguez Captain on January 25, 2004: What man becomes the Captain of a team he no longer plans on playing for? In other words, good news for #Rangers fans.

Ian O’Connor: On the Rangers trading Alex Rodriguez to the Yankees 22 days later: Ah crap.

7. fanofevilempire - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I hope he does a better job than Si on Duck Dynasty, that old man is crazy………

RA Dickey is one cool cat………….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5111)