Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night James Shields described himself as “shocked” by the Rays trading him to the Royals, saying he was excited about the new opportunity but also sad that his family would be leaving their home for the past seven years.
As part of Shields’ contract he’s getting a little pain-killer, with Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the right-hander will receive a $750,000 bonus for being traded.
Shields has already earned $17 million during his career and is set to make $21 million in the next two seasons, but “here’s an extra $750,000″ is always nice.
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 0
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 8
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 30
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 21
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)