Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night James Shields described himself as “shocked” by the Rays trading him to the Royals, saying he was excited about the new opportunity but also sad that his family would be leaving their home for the past seven years.
As part of Shields’ contract he’s getting a little pain-killer, with Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the right-hander will receive a $750,000 bonus for being traded.
Shields has already earned $17 million during his career and is set to make $21 million in the next two seasons, but “here’s an extra $750,000″ is always nice.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17