Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night James Shields described himself as “shocked” by the Rays trading him to the Royals, saying he was excited about the new opportunity but also sad that his family would be leaving their home for the past seven years.
As part of Shields’ contract he’s getting a little pain-killer, with Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the right-hander will receive a $750,000 bonus for being traded.
Shields has already earned $17 million during his career and is set to make $21 million in the next two seasons, but “here’s an extra $750,000″ is always nice.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 215
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)