Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night James Shields described himself as “shocked” by the Rays trading him to the Royals, saying he was excited about the new opportunity but also sad that his family would be leaving their home for the past seven years.
As part of Shields’ contract he’s getting a little pain-killer, with Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the right-hander will receive a $750,000 bonus for being traded.
Shields has already earned $17 million during his career and is set to make $21 million in the next two seasons, but “here’s an extra $750,000″ is always nice.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)