Dec 10, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
Last night James Shields described himself as “shocked” by the Rays trading him to the Royals, saying he was excited about the new opportunity but also sad that his family would be leaving their home for the past seven years.
As part of Shields’ contract he’s getting a little pain-killer, with Jon Morosi of FOXSports.com reporting that the right-hander will receive a $750,000 bonus for being traded.
Shields has already earned $17 million during his career and is set to make $21 million in the next two seasons, but “here’s an extra $750,000″ is always nice.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte