Dec 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
It’s possible that Zack Greinke‘s six-year, $147 million deal won’t be the biggest contract the deep-pocketed Dodgers give out this offseason.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said during the press conference for left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu earlier today that it’s possible the club could explore extension talks with staff ace Clayton Kershaw in the coming weeks. This actually isn’t much different than what Colletti said just about a month ago, but he wanted to put the issue on the backburner while he dealt with more pressing matters. He might be ready now, though.
Kershaw is owed $11 million in 2013 in the second year of a two-year, $19 million contract and is arbitration-eligible for the final time next offseason. Greinke’s deal will likely function as a benchmark in talks and it would be a surprise if he didn’t surpass CC Sabathia‘s record $161 commitment from the Yankees. Heck, he could be the game’s first $200 million pitcher.
Kershaw, 24, has a 2.79 ERA over his first five seasons in the big leagues. After winning the NL Cy Young award in 2011, he was the runner-up to R.A. Dickey this past season.
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 50
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 27
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)