Dec 10, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
It’s possible that Zack Greinke‘s six-year, $147 million deal won’t be the biggest contract the deep-pocketed Dodgers give out this offseason.
According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said during the press conference for left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu earlier today that it’s possible the club could explore extension talks with staff ace Clayton Kershaw in the coming weeks. This actually isn’t much different than what Colletti said just about a month ago, but he wanted to put the issue on the backburner while he dealt with more pressing matters. He might be ready now, though.
Kershaw is owed $11 million in 2013 in the second year of a two-year, $19 million contract and is arbitration-eligible for the final time next offseason. Greinke’s deal will likely function as a benchmark in talks and it would be a surprise if he didn’t surpass CC Sabathia‘s record $161 commitment from the Yankees. Heck, he could be the game’s first $200 million pitcher.
Kershaw, 24, has a 2.79 ERA over his first five seasons in the big leagues. After winning the NL Cy Young award in 2011, he was the runner-up to R.A. Dickey this past season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 10
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 102
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (128)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (106)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)