Sandy Rosario makes his triumphant return to the Red Sox

Dec 10, 2012, 4:28 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v Miami Marlins Getty Images

Sandy Rosario has been very busy, but in the end he wound up right back with the Red Sox.

Boston claimed Rosario off waivers from Miami in October. Then the Red Sox traded him to the A’s on November 28 for a player to be named later. Last week that PTBNL was revealed to be Graham Godfrey.

And today the Red Sox claimed Rosario back off waivers after the 27-year-old right-hander was designated for assignment by the A’s.

Imagine being Godfrey. You were traded for almost literally nothing and now you’re teammates with Rosario. Or at least until one or both of you are let go by the Red Sox.

1. xavier46 - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:52 PM

Man, I think the Red Sox just became favorites for the WS with this move. Splashy!

2. uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Will someone kindly explain to me what the Red Sox management is doing. They finished last season with a 59-93 record and quite frankly didn’t even look as that record would indicate. Now I’ve heard of teams reloading after losing seasons, even rebuilding after the type season the Red Sox had. But from what I’ve seen that the Red Sox have done so far I don’t think either of those works can describe what the Red Sox are doing.

• 1overmind - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:19 PM

69-93 record.

And that poor record was mostly because of 30+ DL stints and under-performing starting pitchers. The best thing the Red Sox can do to improve is pray for good health and Lester & Buchholz to pitch like they’re capable of. Healthy Ellsbury, Ortiz, Middlebrooks, Pedroia, Buchholz, and a normal Jon Lester and they’re capable of competing.

• uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:59 PM

My friend I get a little tired of Red Sox fans using injuries to try and explain away their struggles when they miss the postseason. Every teams suffer injuries. Good teams find a way to win, poor teams find a way to lose. And if that’s not enough please check out this link it’s from Fangraphs it’s a graph of each team and “Days Lost” to the DL per team. I’m sure you can see from the link below San Diego lost the most days to the DL, what might surprise you is the Yankees were 2nd and the Red Sox 3rd.

• 1overmind - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

@uyf1950, Go back and read my comment, I clearly said under-performing starting pitchers were a problem too. Stop showing your insecurity over facts and ignoring your sense of comprehension.

You can look at “days lost” to the DL all you want. I’ll look at the facts including 24 Red Sox players, 13 of which are former All Stars, went on the DL a total of 34 times. 42 DL related transactions, the most in baseball history and nearly double the major league average. That amount of key players lost is a huge difference between 93 losses and competing. And I’ll say it again, the starting pitching under-performed also. Those are the 2 biggest reasons for the Red Sox poor season, and unless history repeats itself, should be the biggest improvement for them in 2013.

You can carry on whining about reasons being excuses if you want… go for it.

• uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

1overmind, I can go back a read it over and over. And it still doesn’t change that the first part of your comment points to the DL as the reason for the poor record. And of course under-performing starting pitchers contributed to the Red Sox record and last place finish. I’m sure I don’t have to remind you that several times starting at the very beginning of spring training and continuing during the season the powers that be at the Red Sox said over and over again that they were happy with their pitching situation. And I’ll say it once again injuries are a fact of life in baseball, and good teams find a way to win and poor teams find a way to lose.
        I’ll also point out one other factor. On July 24th the Red Sox record was 49-49 on July 25th they threw in the towel on the season and sent Gonzalez, Crawford, Beckett and Punto to the Dodgers for virtually no one that could help the team the rest of the year. From July 25 though Oct. 3 the Red Sox went 20-44. So if you want blame the Red Sox poor performance on injuries and under-performing pitchers. But it looks more to me like they just gave up. That’s just my opinion.

• 1overmind - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:43 PM

@uyf1950, Actually you’re wrong. The Red Sox/Dodgers trade happened on August 25’th, not July 24’th… Red Sox were 7 games under .500 and 13.5 games out at that point. The season was over long before the trade due to the reasons I’ve already given you… not because they “gave up”. So wherever you’re getting your arguments from, you’ve been wrong about pretty much everything so far. You’re entitled to your opinion, but you should probably be more prepared while trying to defend it. Just saying.

• uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I stand corrected on the dates. As you accurately pointed out they were 7 games under .500 on what August 25th.and over the next 5 1/2 weeks (35 games) they managed to finish the season 69-93, 24 games under .500 But the point is still true, the Red Sox gave up. When was the last time you ever heard of a large percentage of a teams players going directly to ownership to complain as the Sox players did. Listen I’m not disputing that the Sox had injuries or that their pitchers didn’t live up to expectations. Just as I wouldn’t dispute other teams like the Jays, Orioles. Dodgers or even the Yankees had injuries. But none of those teams raised the White Flag on the season like the Red Sox did. So while it’s convenient to rationalize the Red Sox 2012 by talking about their injuries and under-performing pitchers I think it ignores some of the underlying issues that started towards the end of the 2011 season and carried over into 2012. And I’ll stand by the belief that good teams find a way to win and bad teams find a way to lose. And the Red Sox in 2012 found a lot of ways to lose.

3. 1overmind - Dec 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

And I forgot, If Bailey can stay healthy that’s like a 10 win improvement over what Aceves was last year.

4. proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:26 PM

With the clever acquisition of Rosario, it is nice to see the Red Sox pitching situation becoming clearer. For this Jays fan, the mind boggles at the prospect of facing the Red Sox pitching staff.

• theskinsman - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:44 AM

Proudly, I used to crow long and loud during the off season, but since my Red Sox haven’t had the stunning run of success the Jays have, I bow to your Juggernaut of a team…..until April 1st.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:39 AM

Well said.

Can Angels recoup loss of Richards?
  1. R. Castillo (4780)