Dec 10, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Interesting stuff from Richard Sandomir at the New York Times. The papers and letters of Marvin Miller, the late honcho of the MLBPA.
In it, letters from Ted Turner in 1980, so impressed with Miller’s work that he wishes he could be a player rather than an owner. Which, well, yeah, Turner probably would have wished that anyway. Plus some very early and delicious byplay between Miller and his arch-enemy Bowie Kuhn.
What has always struck me more than anything about Miller is that he took his mission extremely seriously. His work could have been on behalf of auto workers, coal miners, Teamsters or baseball players, and he would have approached it the same way. His opponents, however, didn’t think of the business of baseball as a real business. It was for them, of course, but the players were kids not to be taken seriously. As such, the owners never met Miller on the field of labor battle like any other responsible captains of industry would. This allowed Miller to take the battle to them, always putting them on the defensive.
Some of that, at least from Miller’s perspective, is revealed here. Good stuff. Would love to go look at all of it.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (133)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)