Dec 10, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal has the news:
Source: Grilli back to #Pirates. Two-year deal. Pending physical.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2012
I was told by a very knowledgeable source that this was going to go down last Thursday. Aaron posted about it and about a billion people — including Jason Grilli — said I was making stuff up. Whatever. It wasn’t a done deal then and it is now, so kudos to Rosenthal for getting it, but this should not be a surprise. I should totally take Rick Reilly credit for this.
As for the signing: in two years with the Pirates he threw 91 innings with a 2.76 ERA and 127 strikeouts, making for a remarkable career rejuvenation. Assuming the money isn’t insane — and multiple reporters are saying that he passed up better money from other teams to stay with Pittsburgh — it’s a good signing for the Pirates.
UPDATE: The deal is a quite reasonable $6.75 million over the two years.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 16
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 40
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 16
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 47
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)