Dec 10, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal has the news:
Source: Grilli back to #Pirates. Two-year deal. Pending physical.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2012
I was told by a very knowledgeable source that this was going to go down last Thursday. Aaron posted about it and about a billion people — including Jason Grilli — said I was making stuff up. Whatever. It wasn’t a done deal then and it is now, so kudos to Rosenthal for getting it, but this should not be a surprise. I should totally take Rick Reilly credit for this.
As for the signing: in two years with the Pirates he threw 91 innings with a 2.76 ERA and 127 strikeouts, making for a remarkable career rejuvenation. Assuming the money isn’t insane — and multiple reporters are saying that he passed up better money from other teams to stay with Pittsburgh – it’s a good signing for the Pirates.
UPDATE: The deal is a quite reasonable $6.75 million over the two years.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 9
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 134
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 19
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 33
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (136)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)