Dec 10, 2012, 4:02 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal has the news:
Source: Grilli back to #Pirates. Two-year deal. Pending physical.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) December 10, 2012
I was told by a very knowledgeable source that this was going to go down last Thursday. Aaron posted about it and about a billion people — including Jason Grilli — said I was making stuff up. Whatever. It wasn’t a done deal then and it is now, so kudos to Rosenthal for getting it, but this should not be a surprise. I should totally take Rick Reilly credit for this.
As for the signing: in two years with the Pirates he threw 91 innings with a 2.76 ERA and 127 strikeouts, making for a remarkable career rejuvenation. Assuming the money isn’t insane — and multiple reporters are saying that he passed up better money from other teams to stay with Pittsburgh — it’s a good signing for the Pirates.
UPDATE: The deal is a quite reasonable $6.75 million over the two years.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)