The Reds introduce “Los Rojos” alternate jerseys

Dec 10, 2012, 11:40 AM EST

The Reds had their Fan Fest over the weekend. I tied to get tweets of dumb movie quotes on their big board by using the hashtag for the event, but it didn’t fly.  Now no one there will know that ALL THESE WORLDS ARE YOURS EXCEPT EUROPA ATTEMPT NO LANDING THERE USE THEM TOGETHER USE THEM IN PEACE.  Their loss.

One spiffy development from Fan Fest, though: via MLB.com, the Reds have a new Spanish alternate jersey:

source:

Me likey.

1. El Bravo - Dec 10, 2012 at 11:50 AM

But what does it mean????

• Just a Fan - Dec 10, 2012 at 11:54 AM

There moving to Baja now…….

• indaburg - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:01 PM

It means they’re commies.

Seriously, me gusta mucho.

• historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Ha! Marge Schott just spun in her grave.

• indaburg - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I sure hope so.

• dwrek5 - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:02 PM

It’s to commemorate former pitcher Jose Rojo.

2. Charles Gates - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Not for use while visiting the Diamondbacks.

• qcubed3 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Arizona is certainly crazy, but we have had our Los Dbacks shirts and jerseys here for years. And, I (I’m very white) own my very own Los Dbacks shirt with a Mexican flag on it which I enjoy wearing to games whenever I can. The old people don’t appear to appreciate it as much as I do.

3. mazblast - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:08 PM

This is stupid pandering pandering to the still-small Latino fan base here. Cincinnati has never had a significant Latino population until the last decade-plus. This is hardly Los Angeles, San Diego, Miami, or Nueva York.

No me gusto.

• darthicarus - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I have a hunch the Chapman version of this jersey could sell a little bit.

• historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Yes, non-Hispanics could not possibly enjoy this in the least. I mean, what self-respecting Anglo would ever appreciate their team being multi-lingual or diverse? That would be crazy…and nice.

• teamobijuan - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Pat yourself on the back for a team well-diversified.

• spellingcops - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I pretty much only care about my team winning. And leaving their logo in the native language of the country in which they play. Like being in our our country? Speak English.

• historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Well, if it were in the native language, it would be Cherokee or something. But you know our country has never monolingual, right?

• indaburg - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Spellingcops, I suppose the San Diego Padres had better change their name according to your logic. Saint James Fathers, anyone?

• kevinbnyc - Dec 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Nothing like a little racism/xenophobia.

4. ironmike778 - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Lame.

• pinkfloydprism - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Lame is right. Must be trying to attract that high Hispanic population of a whopping 2.8% into the ball park.

I could see if this was Phoenix, or LA, or San Diego… but Cincinnati?

• natslady - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Maybe the players like it?

• pinkfloydprism - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Could be… but usually it is a marketing ploy. I live in Phoenix and understand why the teams here do it. This, just does not make sense to me. But maybe you are right.

• historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I’m pretty sure there’s a bar or two up there that hosts a Cinco de Mayo blow out and that the vast majority of patrons are non-Hispanic white people. But, yeah, let’s not cater to the 2.8%.

5. Francisco (FC) - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Craig, Craig, you needed to paraphrase the thing to make it fly: ALL THESE PLAYERS ARE YOURS EXCEPT JOSH HAMILTON ATTEMPT NO SIGNING THERE USE THEM TOGETHER USE THEM IN PEACE

6. perrotta13 - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Interesting.

But why is is “Los Rojos”? The team is the “Cincinnati Reds”, not the “Cincinnati The Reds”.

By way of comparison, the Giants jersey is simply “Gigantes”, not “los Gigantes”.
    In the NBA, there is the “Los Lakers” jersey, but that’s because the word Lakers is not translated.

Should it not just read “Rojos” across the chest?

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM

It’s not wrong to use it. When you translate, the team name and city switch places. The Cincinnati Reds becomes: Los Rojos de Cincinnati. That said, most Winter Ball teams just use the team name without it. So maybe Rojos by itself would have resonated more. However the design does look nicer with it.

• paperlions - Dec 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Yep, I am willing to bet they only add the “Los” because “Rojos” by itself didn’t look as good.

7. hushbrother - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM

The logo is cool but I don’t care for the solid color jerseys.

8. mybrunoblog - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Pretty awful looking jersey. Solid red looks like a bad BP jersey. The script looks like the Doders road script. Overall a pretty bad job by whoever did this. On the bright side it won’t be worn very often.

9. gosport474 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM

As a Reds fan, I don’t mind the ‘Los Rojos’ but the all red jersery is horrendous and always has been.

10. poprox13 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Great, now we have to deal with this lame crap in Baseball now too?

11. weaselpuppy - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Easy as cake….

• purpleronin - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Piece of pie….

• historiophiliac - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM

bread pudding!

12. crookedstick - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:41 PM

The Reds currently have the 4th best selling hat in MLB, thanks largely to gang members wearing it. Perhaps they’re making the move into the Hispanic gang market now?

• teamobijuan - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:52 PM

The Bloods is their alt jersey #3.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Stick:
      Tread very carefully. In today’s world reality tends to make people uncomfortable.

13. cosanostra71 - Dec 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Still think this idea of making Spanish alternate uniforms is stupid, but can’t hate too much as they are probably making a lot of money off the merchandise.

14. hieronymous27 - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Ban these softball UNI’S from MLB. This isn’t a beer league.

15. fraleyr - Dec 10, 2012 at 3:38 PM

as long as we get a lead off hitter and win a world series i could care less what they wear

16. purpleronin - Dec 10, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Actually this seems to be an attempt to increase their name recognition in Latin countries. Giving young people in latin countries a jersey in their own language will make it more ‘wearable’ for visiblity purposes in areas where traditionally the Dodgers and Yankees are, and have always been, household names. Clearly the Reds hope it will make signing young prospects in those areas at least a little easier with less of this: “Que son los Rojos?”

17. rcali - Dec 10, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I may have to move to France. My language is no longer acceptable here.

18. dallasstars9 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Not sure why the NBA and MLB feel compelled to do this? Last time I checked baseball is America’s game. Mexico has soccer, and I bet they’re not running around with English alternate jerseys. Stop the politically correct marketing bullshit and let the non-english speaking members of this country feel inspired to learn what the front of their favorite team jersey says!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester