The Yankees are close to bringing back Ichiro Suzuki

Dec 10, 2012, 6:31 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Detroit Tigers - Game Four Getty Images

We saw a premature report out of Japan late last month, but it appears that Ichiro Suzuki will indeed be back with the Yankees next season.

ESPN’s Buster Olney reports that the Yankees are “moving closer” to an agreement with Ichiro and that a deal is expected to be done within the next few days. Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported yesterday that the Yankees were “showing strong interest” in re-signing him and quoted a source who said that a deal “will happen.”

No word yet on the terms being discussed, but it’s a good bet he’ll see a sharp drop in salary from the $17 million he made last season. The 39-year-old outfielder batted .322/.340/.454 with five home runs, 27 RBI and a .794 OPS in 67 games after being acquired from the Mariners in July.

Assuming the deal gets done, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman will likely look for a right-handed bat to mix in with lefty bats Ichiro, Brett Gardner and Curtis Granderson. Scott Hairston, who socked a career-high 20 homers this past season with the Mets, has been mentioned as a possibility.

1. uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Just get it done Brian.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:07 PM

I want to suggest that since he is 39 a few games off would be appropriate. Based on what I saw last year, I think that he should sit out about a third of the games the Yankees play against the Jays.

• Old Gator - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Not the ones I go to, at least. It costs too much to fly to Toronto and rent a car to get to the game for me to feel cheated.

Though, admittedly, not as much as it would cost me to hitchhike to New York and pay Borg ticket prices to see a game….

• uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Old Gator, I wish I could say I’d fly to Miami to watch the Marlins but even the locals don’t want to pay to watch the Marlins.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:52 PM

If Old Gator wants to watch the Marlins play, he has to go to Toronto.

• basedrum777 - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Tickets to yankees games start at $20 a seat in the bleachers where I have my season tickets. People who bitch about the cost of a Yankees game have never been or want to be able to touch the players…

• proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I have often heard of the bleacher creatures in Yankee stadium. What is it like out there?

• Old Gator - Dec 10, 2012 at 9:33 PM

From what I can gather, the inhabitants out there run on a sulfur metabolism, like the deep-sea vent coelenterates.

And Proudly is right. If I want to watch the Feesh, I have to go somewhere else. I want Scrooge McLoria to get as little of my attendance dollar as possible. There’s no way I’m spending any money at Macondo Banana Massacre Field for the foreseeable future.

• dirtyharry1971 - Dec 11, 2012 at 9:10 AM

and i want to suggest hockey to you, its canada’s past time. enjoy the fights too

• jolink653 - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM

$20 for bleacher tickets? Where are you buying your tickets from? We go to 10-15 games a year and we get our tickets for 201-204 for like $5 or $6 a seat on Stubhub

2. proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Nice to read that step by step, inch by inch, the Yankees are closer and closer to signing the mighty Ichiro. He seemed to have drunk deeply from the Fountain of Youth after joining the Yankees last season.

• uyf1950 - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:05 PM

It’s the fluoride in the water.

3. yankeesgameday - Dec 10, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Good. They need another lefty out of the pen. ;-)

• cogitobaseballergosum - Dec 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Um….he throws righty.

4. cackalackyank - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Its about time something besides the pitching situation saw some progress. Now maybe a catcher, as well as that of/dh right handed bat?

• yankeesgameday - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Don’t worry, they are working on the super secret double probation trade for Mauer by Christmas.

• proudlycanadian - Dec 10, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Curses! I thought that they were plotting to get Whiteside back from the Jays! My mistake.

5. denny65 - Dec 10, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Isn’t it true the Mariners have expressed an interest in signing Ichiro? You know, to complement Jason Bay in center? No?

Did ya hear, they moved the fences in!

6. theskinsman - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:39 AM

Any signing of an under 40 year old is cause for celebration. Ichiro seemed to get younger last season.I had hoped he’d go back to Japan for his farewell tour. Hard to keep him off base.Guy can still play.

7. tcostant - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:50 AM

I see one year at $5M plus incentives…

8. albertmn - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:04 AM

This has seemed like a good fit all along. Now, they just need to add either A.J. to catch. Or, will they go with a defensive catcher that may not hit as well?

9. ottomeah - Mar 27, 2013 at 1:57 AM

If you want to save money over StubHub’s prices, eliminate service fees with a Ticket Club membership! For a limited time, email social@ticketclub.com for a free membership.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline