Dec 10, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
This probably qualifies as a “deep thought,” but over the weekend Zack Greinke signed with the Dodgers and James Shields was dealt to the Royals. Both Greinke and Shields were targets of the Texas Rangers. They’ve also sought to trade for Justin Upton, but they don’t want to deal a shortstop to Arizona and, with the starting pitchers falling off the market, it makes that multi-team megadeal everyone was talking about last week much harder.
So what are the Rangers going to do?
Seems like a logical option is to go back to Josh Hamilton, the player they’ve been distancing themselves from since the end of the season. Because while losing him would have been fine assuming Jon Daniels could find the wins his bat provided with someone else’s bat or in a couple of someone else’s arms, those options are getting thinner and thinner.
There’s a lot of time left in the offseason and a lot of different directions Texas could go, but every time a player falls off the big board, a reunion with Josh Hamilton becomes more and more likely.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 21
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 6
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 63
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (111)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games