Dec 10, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
This probably qualifies as a “deep thought,” but over the weekend Zack Greinke signed with the Dodgers and James Shields was dealt to the Royals. Both Greinke and Shields were targets of the Texas Rangers. They’ve also sought to trade for Justin Upton, but they don’t want to deal a shortstop to Arizona and, with the starting pitchers falling off the market, it makes that multi-team megadeal everyone was talking about last week much harder.
So what are the Rangers going to do?
Seems like a logical option is to go back to Josh Hamilton, the player they’ve been distancing themselves from since the end of the season. Because while losing him would have been fine assuming Jon Daniels could find the wins his bat provided with someone else’s bat or in a couple of someone else’s arms, those options are getting thinner and thinner.
There’s a lot of time left in the offseason and a lot of different directions Texas could go, but every time a player falls off the big board, a reunion with Josh Hamilton becomes more and more likely.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional