Dec 10, 2012, 9:07 AM EDT
This probably qualifies as a “deep thought,” but over the weekend Zack Greinke signed with the Dodgers and James Shields was dealt to the Royals. Both Greinke and Shields were targets of the Texas Rangers. They’ve also sought to trade for Justin Upton, but they don’t want to deal a shortstop to Arizona and, with the starting pitchers falling off the market, it makes that multi-team megadeal everyone was talking about last week much harder.
So what are the Rangers going to do?
Seems like a logical option is to go back to Josh Hamilton, the player they’ve been distancing themselves from since the end of the season. Because while losing him would have been fine assuming Jon Daniels could find the wins his bat provided with someone else’s bat or in a couple of someone else’s arms, those options are getting thinner and thinner.
There’s a lot of time left in the offseason and a lot of different directions Texas could go, but every time a player falls off the big board, a reunion with Josh Hamilton becomes more and more likely.
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 5
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 3
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 4
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)