Dec 10, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Yesterday afternoon reports had the Indians trying to sign either Mark Reynolds or Kevin Youkilis to be their new first baseman. Last night Reynolds accepted their one-year, $6 million offer, which is quite a bit less than Cleveland is said to have offered Youkilis and seemingly makes it much more likely that Youkilis will wind up in New York.
Jeff Bradley of the Newark Star Ledger writes that the Yankees have probably “inched closer” to signing Youkilis as a fill-in for Alex Rodriguez at third base. Previous reports had the Yankees offering him a one-year, $12 million deal and Youkilis’ agent said he was “strongly considering” the offer.
A few other teams have also been linked to Youkilis, so he certainly has some options beyond the Yankees, and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer notes that it’s possible the Indians may still be interested in him even after signing Reynolds.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)