Dec 11, 2012, 9:04 AM EDT
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has an in-depth story about Michael Young‘s departure from Texas and all of the drama that surrounded his final three years with the Rangers.
Interesting: Jon Daniels admits that he didn’t handle things well following Young’s trade demand in the 2010-11 offseason following the team’s pickup of Adrian Beltre. Daniels doesn’t elaborate, but he said he learned a lot then and, as of now, no longer discusses the status of current players with the media.
Also interesting: Young admits that he didn’t handle things well when he was moved to third base off shortstop prior to the 2009 season after Elvis Andrus was given the starting shortstop gig. That precipitated an earlier trade demand. Now, however, he says that “if I could go back in time, I would have embraced it as a great challenge.”
Seems like a lot of reasonableness is afoot. Young says, however, that he has no relationship with the Rangers’ front office and, prior to the trade to Philly, had told them to deal only through his agent.
I would assume that all of this will be forgotten in a couple of years when Young returns to Texas as a coach, goodwill ambassador or — depending on how he does in Philly — a bench guy/DH playing out the remainder of his career where he was always happiest, front office strife or not.
UPDATE: This is interesting. The comments from Young about his regret in the way he handled his trade demand before the 2009 season came from his press conference with the Phillies yesterday. These comments are getting big play in stories like the linked one here from Durrett. Absent from most of the writeups, however, were a comment Young made about how he handled his second trade demand, in the 2010-11 offseason:
Michael Young regrets way he handled being asked to move to third. But the way DH move went down? “I wouldn’t change a damn thing,” he said.
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) December 10, 2012
Interesting how that — which would otherwise be a juicy quote — doesn’t make most of these stories.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 196
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 37
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)