Dec 11, 2012, 9:04 AM EDT
Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas has an in-depth story about Michael Young‘s departure from Texas and all of the drama that surrounded his final three years with the Rangers.
Interesting: Jon Daniels admits that he didn’t handle things well following Young’s trade demand in the 2010-11 offseason following the team’s pickup of Adrian Beltre. Daniels doesn’t elaborate, but he said he learned a lot then and, as of now, no longer discusses the status of current players with the media.
Also interesting: Young admits that he didn’t handle things well when he was moved to third base off shortstop prior to the 2009 season after Elvis Andrus was given the starting shortstop gig. That precipitated an earlier trade demand. Now, however, he says that “if I could go back in time, I would have embraced it as a great challenge.”
Seems like a lot of reasonableness is afoot. Young says, however, that he has no relationship with the Rangers’ front office and, prior to the trade to Philly, had told them to deal only through his agent.
I would assume that all of this will be forgotten in a couple of years when Young returns to Texas as a coach, goodwill ambassador or — depending on how he does in Philly — a bench guy/DH playing out the remainder of his career where he was always happiest, front office strife or not.
UPDATE: This is interesting. The comments from Young about his regret in the way he handled his trade demand before the 2009 season came from his press conference with the Phillies yesterday. These comments are getting big play in stories like the linked one here from Durrett. Absent from most of the writeups, however, were a comment Young made about how he handled his second trade demand, in the 2010-11 offseason:
Michael Young regrets way he handled being asked to move to third. But the way DH move went down? “I wouldn’t change a damn thing,” he said.
— Jeff Wilson (@JeffWilson_FWST) December 10, 2012
Interesting how that — which would otherwise be a juicy quote — doesn’t make most of these stories.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 0
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 19
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 22
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)