Ian Kinsler “not thrilled with the idea of changing positions”

Dec 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EST

Ian Kinsler Getty Getty Images

Last month amid questions about how top prospect Jurickson Profar will fit into the Rangers’ lineup Ian Kinsler said he’d be willing to play wherever the team wants him:

I’m paid to be a Texas Ranger. Where I play on the field is not my decision. I’m going to do whatever I can to help the team win regardless of where I am on the fielder or where I’m hitting in the batting order.

That’s basically a perfect quote and exactly what any team would want a player to say, but it sounds like there might be a difference between Kinsler’s public stance and private stance on switching positions.

According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the career-long second baseman “is not thrilled with the idea of changing positions less than a year after signing a five-year, $75 million contract extension.”

General manager Jon Daniels told Rosenthal that no decision has been made yet on Kinsler’s position for 2013, but if Profar is in the majors and Elvis Andrus isn’t traded Kinsler won’t be playing in the middle infield and Adrian Beltre isn’t going anywhere at third base.

1. historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

After this and the Young post before, I feel the need to point out again that MVP Miguel Cabrera happily changed positions so the Tigers could add to the team. Miggy!

• ezthinking - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Might have had something to do with the fact that Miggy always wanted to play third but he was forced off the position.

A better point to make is that the Rangers front office does a shit job of handling player position moves.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Or, that Miggy has changed positions multiple times and is flexible each time. Miggy!

• kevinbnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

Or that Miggy has changed positions multiple times and been pretty mediocre at all of them a la Michael Young.

• djpostl - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Lol except he was a 3B fist perhaps.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:44 PM

He has also played outfield when asked.

• djpostl - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:02 PM

He split time at OF and 3B when he first came up. Technically, OF was his primary position (340 of his first 460 games were there) but he was abysmal and had started packing on the weight already, hence the shift to 3B.

It had nothing to do with being a “team player” and everything to do with the well-documented fact the dude ballooned up. He weighed in at 185 as a rookie and three years later was at around 260 from chowing down on too many arepas.

Simply put he had gone from being a mediocre outfielder to a guy who literally couldn’t play it for your beer league softball team.

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Yet, he plays baseball (not just DH) and I’m guessing you do not.

• djpostl - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Lol. Classic deflection from a mental midget. Way to address anything being discussed.

You sir, are pathetic. Remove your head from Miggy’s ass, you’re suffering from oxygen deprivation it seems.

• historiophiliac - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Hey, lady, get your eyes checked. Also, work on your reading comprehension skills…and logic. Or, maybe you can just work on not being a cad first.

2. lewp - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Hasn’t anyone learned in texas watching michael Young??? We just talked about that!

3. darthicarus - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I’m Michael Young, and I approve this message.

4. coloradogolfcoupons - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Giving Kinsler $75 million, and then watching him turn into the worst-fielding 2nd baseman in MLB, while getting picked off trying to steal REPEATEDLY…turned the fans off. His contract signing meant he no longer had to worry about anything and it showed on the field. His head was not in the game. His severe uppercut swing trying for homers is tough to look at, and his pop-ups to the infield no longer tolerated when his HR’s dwindled from 30 to less than 20. Now the Rangers are stuck for 5 years and switching positions is just going to make him suck at a different position. With Profar on the way, the extension was not needed. Kinsler had no leverage and is now on the wrong side of 30. He is no Cano, and Rangers will have to eat about $25 million minimum to trade him. His power numbers, unless he rebounds, don’t ply well for 1B or corner outfield, and who’s to say his defense will even be adequate at any other position. If he does not rebound, this will be an albatross around the Rangers neck for 5 years.

• Francisco (FC) - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Sooo.. basically three years from now he’ll be traded to the Phillies… yay…

5. elpendejo59 - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Saying you are a Texas Ranger and are willing to do anything to help the team win and also not being thrilled with the idea do not have to be mutually exclusive. I have a job that I am content in and worked very hard for years to be in the current role I have. At the same time, I would be less than thrilled if I was asked to switch roles, especially since this is the position that I feel fits me best. I can totally understand where Kinsler is coming from. But, being less than thrilled is much different from demanding a trade. In fact, as a professional, he should be less than thrilled. With all that being said, I still think Kinsler should be commended for how he is handling the situation, especially in light of the Michael Young situation.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Dec 11, 2012 at 10:46 AM

A person does not have to be thrilled with it in order to be willing to do it. I don’t see any contradiction in these two stories.

I am never thrilled with the idea of going to my job, yet here I am.

• schrutebeetfarms - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Lol. Yet here I am…..reading HBT.

7. raysfan1 - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Other than his first couple games when he got called up, Profar was not a revelation at the major league level. Granted that’s a very small sample size. However, he also had to be shut down in the DWL. It’s no given that Profar will be ready to be an every day 2B next spring, in which case this is all a moot point.

8. lmoneyfresh - Dec 11, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Good work drumming up a story based on nothing. Of course he doesn’t want to change positions, no player would. These guys have to have a certain amount of ego to play the game at this level and I’m sure Kinsler is no different. He sees himself as a 2B and being asked to move is basically being told you’re not good enough to stay there, so of course he’s not happy. Now if that turns into something else after the move, then you deal with that, but based on his comments this story is a pretty big reach.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:44 PM

You know, I hate to say anything nice at all about Chipper Jones but he kind of disproves your theory here…and Miggy!…and a number of others who have switched positions over the years without making a bitch-storm about it.

• lmoneyfresh - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

That’s the issue though, this isn’t a bitchstorm. Kinsler said the right thing publicly and obviously expressed his disappointment behind the scenes. People tend to be so hypocritical with athletes these days. They bitch when they speak in cliches or coach speak and then when a player lets his guard down to express his disappointment with what is basically a demotion, people jump all over it, even when it is a harmless statement.

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

“Bitchstorm.” One word or two? Either way…I am using.

9. billymc75 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM

rangers feont office makes shit moves- says a guy thats watched them go to the WS two out of three yrs? oh and the front office that traded Texeria to Atl for Elvis, Nefty, and Harrison. get a grip

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5926)