Dec 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last month amid questions about how top prospect Jurickson Profar will fit into the Rangers’ lineup Ian Kinsler said he’d be willing to play wherever the team wants him:
I’m paid to be a Texas Ranger. Where I play on the field is not my decision. I’m going to do whatever I can to help the team win regardless of where I am on the fielder or where I’m hitting in the batting order.
That’s basically a perfect quote and exactly what any team would want a player to say, but it sounds like there might be a difference between Kinsler’s public stance and private stance on switching positions.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the career-long second baseman “is not thrilled with the idea of changing positions less than a year after signing a five-year, $75 million contract extension.”
General manager Jon Daniels told Rosenthal that no decision has been made yet on Kinsler’s position for 2013, but if Profar is in the majors and Elvis Andrus isn’t traded Kinsler won’t be playing in the middle infield and Adrian Beltre isn’t going anywhere at third base.
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 0
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 1
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 9
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 139
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (139)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)