Dec 11, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT
Last month amid questions about how top prospect Jurickson Profar will fit into the Rangers’ lineup Ian Kinsler said he’d be willing to play wherever the team wants him:
I’m paid to be a Texas Ranger. Where I play on the field is not my decision. I’m going to do whatever I can to help the team win regardless of where I am on the fielder or where I’m hitting in the batting order.
That’s basically a perfect quote and exactly what any team would want a player to say, but it sounds like there might be a difference between Kinsler’s public stance and private stance on switching positions.
According to Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com the career-long second baseman “is not thrilled with the idea of changing positions less than a year after signing a five-year, $75 million contract extension.”
General manager Jon Daniels told Rosenthal that no decision has been made yet on Kinsler’s position for 2013, but if Profar is in the majors and Elvis Andrus isn’t traded Kinsler won’t be playing in the middle infield and Adrian Beltre isn’t going anywhere at third base.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 61
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 55
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)