Dec 11, 2012, 8:05 PM EST
Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reported earlier that the Reds were trying to acquire outfielder Shin-Soo Choo from the Indians, with Drew Stubbs and infield prospect Didi Gregorius heading to Cleveland in return. But that deal has since grown a bit larger.
According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, on the table now is a three-team blockbuster that would send Choo to Cincinnati along with infielder Jason Donald, Stubbs and a young Diamondbacks starting pitcher to the Indians, and Gregorius to the Snakes.
Patrick Corbin, Trevor Bauer and Tyler Skaggs are the Arizona pitchers that are currently being discussed. Rosenthal thinks the D’Backs are least likely to want to move Skaggs and Bauer is a pretty highly-rated prospect, so we’d guess it’s going to be Corbin.
It’s not a sure thing that there will be a resolution to these discussions before the end of the night.
UPDATE, 8:11 PM: Jack Magruder of FOX Sports Arizona says the Diamondbacks will get more than just Gregorius and Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain-Dealer hears that nine total players could be involved.
UPDATE, 8:52 PM: CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the part of the trade sending Choo and Donald to the Reds has been agreed upon, but also that there’s “a lot more” coming. So stay tuned.
UPDATE, 9:02 PM: According to MLB.com beat writer Steve Gilbert, the Diamondbacks and Indians have not yet finalized their end of the three-team swap. But the expectation is that they will soon.
UPDATE, 9:07 PM: Rosenthal reports that pitchers Bryan Shaw and Matt Albers will go from Arizona to Cleveland. Asdrubal Cabrera could wind up with the Diamondbacks. Gregorius seems headed to the Tribe.
UPDATE, 9:10 PM: The Indians are getting Bauer from the Diamondbacks, according to ESPN’s Buster Olney. We’ll put up a fresh post when all the names and destinations are revealed.
UPDATE, 9:13 PM: Rosenthal now clarifies that Cabrera is not involved. Gregorius will go to Arizona.
UPDATE, 9:26 PM: All sides have agreed to the three-team, nine-player trade. Head HERE for more.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 14
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 71
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (145)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)