Jim Thome: “I’m not retired”

Dec 11, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Jim Thome Getty Getty Images

I’m not dead. I’m not. I’m getting better. I don’t want to go on the cart. I feel fine. I think I’ll go for a walk. I feel happy. I feel happy:

“I’m not retired,” the 42-year-old slugger said with a laugh. “If someone wants me to play, I’d consider it for sure. I feel good. If I didn’t feel good, I wouldn’t even consider it. But I feel good. I’d like to play.”

That’s from Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, who caught up with Thome after a “strenuous workout.”  Thome’s workout, not Salisbury’s.

Thome is realistic: he knows it’s pretty much DH or bust, though he’d listen if an NL team called. And he’s at peace if no one calls.

1. historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Not gonna hate cuz I’ve loved to watch him hit for a long time.

2. wintwins - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:11 PM

The Phillies fans who thought he could play 1B last offseason were delusional, but Thome can definitely DH a few times a week. Give him a million or two dollars and you might strike gold. There are no bad one year deals, right?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:19 PM

No Phillies fan thought he could play first base last season. The reason he did not work out in Philly was because he could not pinch hit. He tore the leather off the ball in his DH appearnces with the Phils – but he was a total bust as a PH…..except for this AB:

3. albertmn - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:13 PM

With more interleague play starting this season, NL teams would have more chances to use a DH, while AL teams will actually have fewer games with a DH. Not sure if that works in Thome’s favor or against it. If roster size were 26 or 27 instead of 25, I would have to believe he was already be signed. But, with roster size at 25, it is difficult to carry a DH that can’t even DH every day due to his back issues. The Twins found that out his last year with them.

4. danaking - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

A contender that needs a platoon DH could do worse than give a shot for a million or two. (Or three, depending on the team.)

5. lostsok - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I’d love to see Thome back for another year. Baseball is a better place with that big goofy galoot.

• skids003 - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Yes, he is a classy guy. Always a place for class.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Said “skids.” lol

• stex52 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:09 PM

We love you, Jim, but c’mon. Let the clock start on the HOF. Time to call off the dogs.

6. natslady - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:27 PM

There don’t seem to be THAT many more interleague games, and some of them are home games for the NL teams. For the Nats, we would need a DH for exactly 5 games, and only 2 games before the trade deadline.

We play the White Sox (in DC) in April–so plan for extra security.
    We play the Tigers (in DC) in May.
    We play the Twins (in DC) in June.
    We play the O’s 2 in DC and 2 in Ballmer in May.
    We play the Royals (in KC) in August.

• natslady - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:31 PM

oops sorry, we also have away games at Cleveland and Detroit, so more need for DH than 5 games, but still not enough to affect roster planning, I think.

• seeinred87 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I was gonna say… They better be coming to Detroit still haha. I’m still crossing my fingers that I get to go to a JV-Stras matchup. As long as Strasburg takes the hill during the Nats time here though, I’ll be happy.

7. sophiethegreatdane - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Oh stop it. You’ll be dead in a minute

8. digbysellers - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

C’mon do us a favor. Just walk him around a bit.

9. ironmike778 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Gotta love this guy.

10. hermie13 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Rays would make sense. they brought in Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon 2 years ago, why not Thome now?

• tampajoey - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I think the Rays are working to make a bigger splash at DH than Jim Thome. Although, Thome would be a solid safety net if the Rays can’t land someone better.

11. raysfan1 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Hermie–just what I was thinking

12. makeham98 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Phillies fans didn’t want him last year. Charlie owed him for getting the job way back when.

• tuberippin - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Speak for yourself.

13. rje49 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:19 PM

If Jim’s getting better, how long will it take before “he’s in the best shape of his life?” Before spring training begins, I would hope!

14. thesmedman - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

He’ll get an invitation to work out with a club in spring training, and likely that will be it. Phillies fan here that will always respect that he chose to sign with the Phillies – the first time – and validated them as a place to play. I didn’t mind them signing him last year though I knew it was really only temporary and, yes, a sign of respect.

Reminds me a lot of Steve Carlton. His career ended with an invitation to work out – with the Yankees, I believe – and that was it…

15. bigred12 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

bring out yer dead!

16. ukcardsfan - Dec 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Nice to see a Python reference. Well put Craig.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (2972)