Pete Rose’s new TLC reality show starts in January

Dec 11, 2012, 3:20 PM EDT

peterose-girlfriend-091111-thumb-550x374-3997

I wrote back in July about Pete Rose getting his own reality show on TLC and now Jon Weisman of Variety has the details for what will be called “Hits and Mrs.”

You know, because Pete Rose is the all-time leader in hits and his four-decades younger fiance Kiana Kim will apparently be a big part of the show.

It’ll be six episodes–I’d normally say “the first season will be six episodes” but there’s zero chance of a second season happening, right?–and the debut is January 14.

I forced myself to watch “Survivor” this season because Jeff Kent was a cast member and I felt it was worthwhile to provide weekly recaps on this baseball blog, but a man has his limits. I promise to write about the show’s cancellation, though.

1. cur68 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Anyone who would blame you for shirking this one would also hate on Rush and like pie. Can’t trust ‘em.

• sametoyou - Jan 4, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Most reality shows are pure crap….but…Who reading this would not accept the paycheck, the ability to spout your opinions to a national audience and/or the “fame” they would aquire if such a show was offered to them?

I AM going to watch this show because, regardless of how Pete’s career ended and regardless of what anyone else here or anywhere else thinks, Pete Rose was the most dedicated baseball player I ever had the good-fortune to see play the game. And, like it or not, there are an abundance of people who feel the same way. So….make fun of him if you want. Make stupid gambling/betting remarks if you must. Be jealous that he is marrying a good looking girl, or that he is marrying a girl much younger than he is or of whatever else you wish to jealous of…And, of course…Make fun of those of us who will watch the show, call us all the names you wish to call us. We enjoy reading the posts and laughing at the bitterness we see
      shining through!

2. shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Gross.

I would be willing to put him in the Hall of Fame for no other reason than it might him from trolling for attention.

On the flip side, if such a scenario would cause him to seek more attention, I’m all for banning him from media as well.

3. jaysfan64 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’ll only watch it if Honey Boo Boo agrees to a guest appearance…

4. shaggylocks - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Okay, I can understand Pete Rose marrying some hottie-patottie when he was in his prime, but now? Seriously? Is there some secret pheromone baseball players get when they break into the big leagues or something?

• shynessismyelguapo - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

There is a secret pheromone! You can read all about it here:

• shaggylocks - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Yeah, but it Pete Rose had that particular pheromone he wouldn’t be doing reality TV…

5. makeham98 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:42 PM

He should never have cheated on Karolyn. She was his true soulmate.

• mazblast - Dec 11, 2012 at 7:15 PM

He and Karolyn cheated on each other from day one. They had agreed-on territories–she could roam wherever she wanted on their home turf, Cincy’s West Side; the rest was his. Their marriage collapsed when he started getting his extra-curriculars on her turf.

Whatever happened to his second wife, the one he met while she was a bartender at Sleep-Out Louie’s? IIRC she wasn’t bad-looking, and she was no dumber than him.

6. jcmeyer10 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Do you think he took the over or under on number of episodes?

• seeinred87 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

But he would never bet on his own show!

7. randygnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I don’t blame Pete for being with a younger woman. I don’t blame him either for appearing on tv, presumably, for money. Players as great as he is never had the chance to make the money contemporary players do. I can only imagine the contract he’d get today. Think he’s better than Pagan? Victorino?

I’d be lying if I said I wouldn’t watch this.

• savvybynature - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:05 AM

I won’t be watching, but you are spot on about the $$$. A lot of people don’t realize how criminally underpaid the old school players were compared to the players of today.

8. alexo0 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:09 PM

“…there’s zero chance of a second season happening, right?”

I wouldn’t bet on it.

9. digbysellers - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:16 PM

They should just call it Hits and Juggs A Poppin’….those are some jubblies.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:00 PM

But, he promised it wouldn’t be “classless.”

10. ltzep75 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

How about naming it akin to a cinematic classic: Mother, Juggs and Sleeze

• jwbiii - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Having Harvey Keitel in the cast would definitely make it more interesting.

11. kkolchak - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:50 PM

What scares me is that the dopes who would actually sit around watching Rose’s show every week are then allowed to go out and vote.

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Do you really think they’re voters? (and I don’t mean the American Idol kind)

• kkolchak - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:39 PM

Hopefully not, but they COULD. (shudder)

• historiophiliac - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM

On the upside, probably not Romney voters. lol

• stlouis1baseball - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:32 PM

You nailed it Kkolchak. They vote early and vote often. This of course is what led to Obama winning the election by 3Million votes.
      Disclaimer: I apologize Aces (and 98% of other HBT left leaning readers).
      Aces…please don’t tell me to shoot myself, jump off a bridge or drive drunk and die.
      I just couldn’t resist man. Hahaha!

12. irishdodger - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:49 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

13. crankyfrankie - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Please tell me that is not the Kiana that did the ESPN exercise show?

14. joewilliesshnoz - Dec 11, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Wonder if he’ll run her over at the alter ?

15. savvybynature - Dec 12, 2012 at 12:06 AM

I’m positive this show will be total garbage, but you have to give them some credit on the name.

“Hits and Misses,” is absolute genius for a reality TV show about Rose’s life.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3271)