Quote of the Day: The Yankees switch to Ticketmaster

Dec 11, 2012, 12:31 PM EST

yankees-logo

News came yesterday that the Yankees, Cubs and Angels have opted out of the MLB deal with StubHub for secondary market ticket sales.

We’ve talked about that in the past. The upshot: the Yankees and some other teams don’t like that the StubHub prices are often lower than tickets the Yankees are still selling at the box office. Which, cry me a river, if people won’t buy prices at what you’re asking it’s because your prices are too high. Still, that’s their beef, and their move to Ticketmaster, which has price floors for secondary market tickets, is their response. It’s a free country.

But I do love the quote from the Yankees about why they’ve made this move:

The Yankees are completing a deal with Ticketmaster that will, the source said, “be much more fan-friendly, have less fees and more accessibility.” Ticketmaster spokeswoman Jacqueline Peterson declined comment.

I’m assuming the Ticketmaster person didn’t comment because even she doesn’t understand how the words “fan-friendly” and “less fees” can possibly be associated with Ticketmaster.

1. pilonflats - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

ticketmaster straight out robs music and sports fans

• dickclydesdale - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Ebay you can get cheap ticket prices. Screw TicketMaster & their added convenience fee & email delivery fee.

2. ireportyoudecide - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I do like ticketmaster’s new select a seat that some teams have where you look at every single seat rather then being fed the one they want you to have. Stubhub needs to add that.

• brewcitybummer - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:42 PM

That just sounds like Stubhub’s normal site. What am I missing? I have always just picked my exact seat on Stubhub.

• ireportyoudecide - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:45 PM

It shows the seating chart down to each individual seat on the map, so you know if you are on the aisle, middle, if row 7 is actually row 7 or row 1. Things like that.

• paperlions - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:57 PM

So does Stub Hub.

3. mrfloydpink - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Evil empire, meet evil empire.

• mrfloydpink - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Who’s the thumbs down? Sean Moriarty, president of Ticketmaster, is that you?

4. CliffC - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Not really defending them, but as Yankees season ticket holder, I think what they mean is that fan friendly=hopefully more season ticket holder friendly, which means more renewals after we had to eat a lot of tickets last year that didn’t sell for $1.20.

• CliffC - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:40 PM

That many thumbs down for stating that I think the Yankees are just worrying about season ticket holders being happier and therefore more renewals? A lot of ticket holders got stuck with tickets last year for the first time in a long time.

5. randygnyc - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

My question is this, can a season ticket holder still lost his unused tickets on stubhub? Or, will there be a stipulation in the agreement between the Yankees and the season ticket holder that expressly forbids any resale on SH?

• The Central Message - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Yankees tickets (or Angels tickets or Cubs tickets) won’t disappear from StubHub. There are plenty of ticket resale sites outside of SH that have never had an agreement with MLB. This just means the Yankees site won’t link directly to StubHub.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Correct. Also they won’t verify or be responsible for the sales made on SH.

6. sknut - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Even Satan hates ticketmaster. What a scam they have going.

• deathmonkey41 - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

He loves Slayer though, but then again- who doesn’t???

• mrfloydpink - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:52 PM

John Clayton sure does.

7. proudlycanadian - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:43 PM

On the Ichiro thread, one Yankee fan reported that he frequently bought bleacher tickets from StubHub at a much lower price ($5 to $6) than the $20 that was reported by the holder of season tickets in the bleachers.

8. willclarkgameface - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Quote of the day.

Ticketmaster can suck a dick.

• JB (the original) - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Watch the spelling, it’s “Ticketbastard”.

• conorsg3 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Yes, Ticketmaster and Stub Hub are scams. For those looking for an honest ticket exchange, you should check out seat sync (http://seatsync.com/). They are small right now, but with enough exposure, will give fans a much better option.

• teamobijuan - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Seems legit. Want my cc info?

• spartickus - Dec 12, 2012 at 10:34 AM

I think SeatSync has it right. I sold a pair of Bulls tickets on there last weekend and it was very easy to use.

It’s mobile, and helps you find tickets from real fans that are selling at locations that are convenient to you. Also, it’s free right now – and promises to be as low-fee as possible.

9. El Bravo - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

This implies that if…I’m sorry, when….the Cubs suck again and play a sucky team in September that we won’t be able to find $0.02 tickets for this game on Stubhub? Wow, I didn’t want to pay two pennies on Stubhub then, so now I can pay face “value” via TicketMaster? I put that in quotes b/c there is no value to this move whatsoever.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:46 PM

As a diehard Cub fan, I freely admit I checked out SH for most of the games I’ve gone to the past two years. This move just stinks.

10. steelhammer92 - Dec 11, 2012 at 12:53 PM

You can still buy and sell tickets on StubHub. There just won’t be as many tickets for listed for sale. That and the Yankees will no longer be listing their own tickets for sale on StubHub; which they have in the past.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:41 PM

it’s not really the teams posting on Stubhub that changes. When teams are partnered with Stubhub it means they are integrated with that teams ticketing system which means every ticket that is sold is verified to be a good ticket on Stubhub before the sale is finalized whereas when you’re not partnered with them this doesn’t happen so you can have a lot more locations sold twice, etc, etc…

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM

nothing is stopping the Yankees or any other team from just creating a SH account and posting tickets. That could happen with or without a partnership.

11. skipcastaneda - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Sometimes the fees are more than the tickets on Ticketmaster! Convienence fee, mailing fee, print at home fee……

12. shanabartels - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Craig, you left out an important detail and I panicked for a moment thinking I could never afford Yankees tickets again until I clicked through and read the linked article — there WILL still be Yankees tickets available via StubHub. Fans can still resell their tickets through StubHub. The difference is just that the TEAM won’t be selling tickets directly through StubHub. Hopefully there will still be cheap tickets available.

I get to a couple games a year if I’m lucky. I may not be a typical case, but I’m currently unemployed and have very little money to spend on attending games. So if I find $10 tickets on StubHub in the upper deck or bleachers, that seems like a bargain — and in some ways, it is — but it’s not exactly that simple. First, there’s the StubHub fee, which significantly raises the price if I get two $10 tickets and get charged an additional $10 for fees. To keep a running tab here, my $10 ticket (plus another $10 ticket for a friend) has already become $30. Then there’s the fact that I live in Central Jersey, which is only an hour away from the city, but now that NJ Transit prices have skyrocketed in the last few years, it costs me $29.50 to get a round trip fare to Penn Station. The tab is up to roughly $60 now. Then add $5 for the subway fare to get from Penn Station to Yankee Stadium and back. That’s $65 already, assuming I don’t eat or drink a damn thing other than the bottle of water I always bring from home.

For someone with very limited finances, it was bad enough when a supposed $10 ticket really meant I’m spending at least $65. If it gets any worse, I can’t be the only person who would be completely shut out from going to games altogether. I hope semi-reasonably priced tickets will still be available with this new system, but I am not optimistic.

• KR - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Then I have to buy a house to go to after the game. And I can’t go to the game naked, so I need clothes. And I don’t have any friends so I need to hire hookers to go to the game with me.

Now I’m a half million dollars in the hole…

• mscott4 - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Other than the StubHub fee how is any of that going to change with Ticketmaster?

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:39 PM

more expensive tickets

• yankeesgameday - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

/sarcasm on

Every republican who reads your post is going to say, “how dare you take your unemployment money and waste it on baseball tickets?!” And then they’ll find a way to blame Obama that people without jobs still think they can go to baseball games. It socialism to think ticket prices should be affitdable!

/sarcasm off

• rich7041 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I feel your pain, Shana. I have a 9 game partial plan in tier reserved area. Tickets went down last year (!) to $35 a seat (x2=$70.) NJT is inconvenient, so I drive. Round trip tolls are over $20 now (NJTP and GWB) plus about $20 for gas and $20 for off-site parking. That’s $130 for me and my wife before we get into the stadium. I’m hoping the beers stay at $11 this year. And I usually give away 3-4 games a year to family, which actually saves me money. If I hit the lottery, I may go to a 20 game plan someday.

13. mreezybreezy - Dec 11, 2012 at 1:05 PM

Mr. Burns: And to think, Smithers: you laughed when I bought TicketMaster. “Nobody’s going to pay a 100% service charge.”

Smithers: Well, it’s a policy that ensures a healthy mix of the rich and the ignorant, sir.

14. MyTeamsAllStink - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM

I use Fan Snap ticketmaster is an anus

15. schlom - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Whether or not ticketmaster is going to be any better (I think most of us have our doubts) but stubhub’s fees are pretty brutal. I just got 76er tickets on stubhub that were $1.50 each. So three was $4.50. However there was a $5.00 service fee and a $4.95 electronic delivery fee.

I wish I owned a business where I could charge 221% fees on my product.

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM

if you think stubhub’s fee’s are brutal then you have never bought tickets from ticketmaster.

16. bh0673 - Dec 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM

As a season ticket holder to the Yankees and no longer a full season holder it comes down to demand and what the market will bear. Two seasons ago it was the first time I had a struggle to sell the tickets I didn’t want and in the end it came down to either eat them or sell them cheap I sold them cheap and if the Yankees think it was all StubHubs fault then they are living in a fantasy world. Demand was down money was tight and the $43 dollars to park puckered up a lot of backsides, I don’t care what ticket outlet they use the market will only bear so much. If the Yankees feel I was selling my tickets too cheap then they should have offered to buy them back and sell them themselves. IT IS NOT THE VENUE YOU SELL THROUGH IT IS THE MARKET YOU SELL TO!!!!!!!

17. timmons94 - Dec 11, 2012 at 5:39 PM

I love stubhub, sure the fees stink, but better than eating the tickets..
    I will say living in Milwaukee, i was in a group with Bucks season tix (i know, i know), this is my last year. U can find the week night games like tomm night with Sacramento- i got 100 dollar seats for 12, 2 tix cost me 34..
    the Yankees need to realize, u might be ticking off your own fans, and bh0673, u r correct….
    now Brewers tix below the upper deck keep most of their value, but i love baseball and only sell 1 or 2 and just hope to get near my season ticket cost.
    I hate ticketmaster…for years I was on Steelers season ticket waiting list, still am..I used to get up to 3 tickets for 2 games, then it became 2 tickets for 2 games..I always got the games i wanted if i sent it back in right away..Now Ticketmaster sells those same seats..and about 10 in fees for each seat, plus their other bs fees…No more, i watch from home..
    I always loved how their fees are cheaper for the nose bleeds than the best seats…How are their costs any different ???? total bs

• mgdsquiggy17 - Dec 12, 2012 at 5:47 PM

costs are different for one because of the credit card fee (goes off the total price of the sale)… a cheaper ticket has less of a cc fee then an expensive ticket…

18. jimw81 - Dec 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

steinbrenner will still complain

19. behrzhuyuc - Mar 27, 2013 at 2:22 AM

Save money by eliminating extra service fees! Email social@ticketclub.com for a limited time only for a free membership to Ticket Club!

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester