Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
All offseason we’ve heard that the Rangers were looking for catching help and now, even after re-signing Geovany Soto to a one-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re interested in A.J. Pierzynski.
Rosenthal notes that Texas’ righty dominated lineup could use a left-handed bat–especially if they fail to re-sign Josh Hamilton–and a Pierzynski-Soto platoon could be very productive.
Pierzynski is 35 years old and struggles to control the running game, but is coming off a career-year in which he hit .278 with 27 homers and an .827 OPS in 135 games for the White Sox. He’d never hit more than 18 homers before and hadn’t cracked an .800 OPS since 2003.
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 5
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 53
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 75
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 33
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 48
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 68
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (178)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (100)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)