Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EST
All offseason we’ve heard that the Rangers were looking for catching help and now, even after re-signing Geovany Soto to a one-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re interested in A.J. Pierzynski.
Rosenthal notes that Texas’ righty dominated lineup could use a left-handed bat–especially if they fail to re-sign Josh Hamilton–and a Pierzynski-Soto platoon could be very productive.
Pierzynski is 35 years old and struggles to control the running game, but is coming off a career-year in which he hit .278 with 27 homers and an .827 OPS in 135 games for the White Sox. He’d never hit more than 18 homers before and hadn’t cracked an .800 OPS since 2003.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 15
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)