Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
All offseason we’ve heard that the Rangers were looking for catching help and now, even after re-signing Geovany Soto to a one-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re interested in A.J. Pierzynski.
Rosenthal notes that Texas’ righty dominated lineup could use a left-handed bat–especially if they fail to re-sign Josh Hamilton–and a Pierzynski-Soto platoon could be very productive.
Pierzynski is 35 years old and struggles to control the running game, but is coming off a career-year in which he hit .278 with 27 homers and an .827 OPS in 135 games for the White Sox. He’d never hit more than 18 homers before and hadn’t cracked an .800 OPS since 2003.
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 53
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)