Dec 11, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
All offseason we’ve heard that the Rangers were looking for catching help and now, even after re-signing Geovany Soto to a one-year deal, Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that they’re interested in A.J. Pierzynski.
Rosenthal notes that Texas’ righty dominated lineup could use a left-handed bat–especially if they fail to re-sign Josh Hamilton–and a Pierzynski-Soto platoon could be very productive.
Pierzynski is 35 years old and struggles to control the running game, but is coming off a career-year in which he hit .278 with 27 homers and an .827 OPS in 135 games for the White Sox. He’d never hit more than 18 homers before and hadn’t cracked an .800 OPS since 2003.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)