Dec 11, 2012, 7:13 PM EST
ESPN’s Buster Olney opined last week that the Indians are in the best position to sign free agent outfielder Nick Swisher. But a deal obviously hasn’t been struck yet and they do have some competition.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com was told by a baseball source on Tuesday that the Red Sox are “one of four teams” interested in signing Swisher.
The Giants and Mariners may be the other two.
Swisher batted .272/.364/.473 with 24 home runs and 93 RBI in 148 games this past season for the Yankees. The 32-year-old is thought to be seeking a five- or six-year contract.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)