Dec 11, 2012, 7:13 PM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney opined last week that the Indians are in the best position to sign free agent outfielder Nick Swisher. But a deal obviously hasn’t been struck yet and they do have some competition.
Gordon Edes of ESPNBoston.com was told by a baseball source on Tuesday that the Red Sox are “one of four teams” interested in signing Swisher.
The Giants and Mariners may be the other two.
Swisher batted .272/.364/.473 with 24 home runs and 93 RBI in 148 games this past season for the Yankees. The 32-year-old is thought to be seeking a five- or six-year contract.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)