Dec 11, 2012, 4:10 PM EST
All offseason the Reds have been linked to various center fielders as they looked to upgrade from Stubbs, but it’s worth noting that Choo hasn’t played an inning in center field since 2009 and has just 10 career starts in center field during his eight-season career. At age 30 he isn’t even a standout right fielder.
Choo will definitely be a massive upgrade in the leadoff spot with a .381 career on-base percentage that includes a .371 mark this year, and when healthy he’s one of the more underrated all-around outfielders in baseball. But even with the solid Jay Bruce in right field an outfield that has Choo in center field and Ryan Ludwick in left field figures to be pretty ugly.
Stubbs would presumably take over as the Indians’ starting center fielder, pushing Michael Brantley to left field, and Gregorius would give Cleveland a potential shortstop replacement if Asdrubal Cabrera is traded.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (304)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)