Dec 11, 2012, 6:01 PM EDT
FOXSports.com’s Ken Rosenthal says Kevin Youkilis will be decked out in pinstripes and goatee-less next season.
According to Rosenthal, the Yankees and Youkilis have agreed to a one-year, $12 million contract that would put the long time Red Sox infielder at third base until Alex Rodriguez returns from hip surgery in June or July.
Youkilis had the option of taking a paycut and a multiyear deal from the Indians before they signed Mark Reynolds, but the combination of playing for a surefire contender and matching last year’s salary apparently appealed to him more than playing in his home state and reuniting with Terry Francona.
The addition of Youkilis gives the Yankees the right-handed bat they desired with Rodriguez out. The two players could alternate between third base and DH once A-Rod returns.
Youkilis hit .235/.336/.409 with 19 homers and 60 RBI for the Red Sox and White Sox last season. He’s a lifetime .233/.337/.397 hitter with four homers in 73 at-bats at new Yankee Stadium.
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game, as they’re announced… 1
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 101
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)